Some of these steps may not apply to your computer. Test the system under normal operating conditions to verify the power management settings after performing each step:
- Verify that the latest BIOS and Embedded Controller when available for the ThinkPad system have been installed.
Note: Not all ThinkPad systems require a separate Embedded Controller utility.
- Adjust the power management settings according to your preferences and environment.
- Windows XP Click Start -> Programs -> ThinkVantage -> ThinkVantage Power Manager
- Windows 7 Same as XP or go to Control Panel -> Lenovo-Power Controls
- Verify the health of the system battery.
- Disable any screen savers in the operating system.
- Right-click on the desktop background of the Microsoft operating system and then click Properties. The Display Properties window will be displayed.
- Click the Screen Saver tab.
- Select None from the pull-down list and then click OK.
- Right-click on the desktop background and then click Personalize.
- Click on the Screen Save icon.
- Select None from the pull-down list and then click OK
- Scan all the files on the system with AntiVirus software using the vendor's latest virus definitions.
- Scan the system for spyware using the anti-spyware software's latest definitions. Perform a Web search for spyware software for more information.
- Verify the driver and firmware versions are the latest for attached hardware. This can be verified at the manufacturer's Web site, if available.
- Remove any attached hardware and device drivers. For testing purposes, temporarily disconnect any devices one at a time. Ensure all attached hardware is Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) compliant. This can be verified in the hardware device User's Guide from the manufacturer.
- Load the original or an earlier configuration.
- Remove any attached hardware and device drivers. For testing purposes, temporarily disconnect any device one at a time. Ensure all attached hardware Advance Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) compliant. This can be verified in the hardware device User's Guide from the manufacturer.
- Load the original configuration in the BIOS.
- Turn on the computer.
- While the "Press F1 for BIOS Setup Utility or the blue ThinkVantage button,the BIOS Setup Utility menu will be displayed.
- If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.
- Press the F9 key and then select Yes to load the default configuration.
- Press the F10 key and then select Yes to save the configuration changes and exit
Please select one of the following options for further assistance: