|If you are using the Integrated Bluetooth II driver with Windows XP Service Pack 2, the Bluetooth property might show "Unknown" instead of "WIDCOMM" for the driver provider in Device Manager.|
The following systems with the Integrated Bluetooth II or Bluetooth III driver installed:
Use the following procedure to reinstall the Integrated Bluetooth II driver through the Hardware Update Wizard:
- ThinkPad R40
- ThinkPad R50, R50p
- ThinkPad R51
- ThinkPad T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p
- ThinkPad X31
- ThinkPad X40
Because the Integrated Bluetooth II driver is not digitally signed, it can be overwritten by the signed Bluetooth drivers included with Windows XP Service Pack 2. If Device Manager is open while "driver update" is selected and closed without updating, the signed Bluetooth driver included with Windows XP Service Pack 2 will partially overwrite the currently installed driver. This action results in Device manager displaying "Unknown" for the driver provider.
- Click Start; then select Control Panel.
- Click Performance and Maintenance; then click System.
- Click the Hardware tab; then click Device Manager.
- Double-click Bluetooth Radios.
- Double-click Integrated Bluetooth II or III.
- Click the Driver tab; then click the Update Driver... button.
Note: Step 7 applies only when the Driver Provider is Unknown.
- Select No, not this time; then click Next.
- Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced); then click Next.
- Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install; then click Next.
- Select the driver without the Digital Signed icon; then click Next.
- When a pop-up window appears, click the Continue Anyway button.
- Click Finish to close window.