New ThinkPad systems, with the Sierra Wireless MC8355 Gobi 3000 card, should ship with the installed Lenovo Mobile Access software. If the software is not installed or on an older ThinkPad system with a Sierra Wireless MC8355 Gobi 3000 card, the user should follow the steps in the Solution section to allow the system to use Lenovo Mobile Access.
The following ThinkPad systems running on Windows 7 may be affected by this symptom:
- Edge S430
- L420, L421, L430, ThinkPad L520, L530
- T420, T420i, T420s, T420si, T430, T430i, T430s, T430si
- T520, T520i, T530, T530i, W520, W530
- X1, X121e, X130e, X131e, X220, X220i, X220 Tablet, X220i Tablet, X230, X230i, X230 Tablet, X230i Tablet
Requirements for the system to use Lenovo Mobile Access:
Note: The following requirements must be met before continuing
Steps to follow to allow the system to use Lenovo Mobile Access:
- Open Access Connections. In the Location pull-down, choose Lenovo Mobile Access. Choose Sprint if Lenovo Mobile Access is unavailable.
- Click Connect.
- A warning error will display that the card is not activated. Click Cancel.
- If the “Switch to” button in the upper left states Advanced, click on it once to enable the Advanced view. Otherwise, go to the next step.
- Click on the Tools tab, then click on the Mobile Broadband button, and choose Account Information and Activation.
- In the Windows WAN Account Information windows, find the MEID and write down that number. This will be needed later to sign up for support. (NOTE: This number may be located on a sticker on the bottom of the system or may be under the battery.) Confirm that the numbers match. If they do not match, then use the number displayed in Access Connections.
- Open a web browser and go to http://mobile.lenovo.com. Then, create an account. To download the client software, click on the “Get ID” button.
- The next window will have a link to download the client software.
- Download and install the Lenovo Mobile Access client. Then, return to the Mobile Access web page and complete creating an account.
(NOTE: Open the Mobile Access web site by clicking on the icon in the system bar as shown circled above in red. The MEID information should be automatically filled in. Continue to complete the rest of the needed information and click on Submit.)
- If the card MEID did not automatically fill in or an error “Provided device ID does not match” if received, then contact Lenovo Mobile Access support at 1-866-207-5353. Provide the MEID to support.
Systems built before the Chief River chipset systems (T430, T530, W530, L430, L530, etc.) will need to contact support since this service was launched with these systems and not older systems that meet the hardware/software requirements.
Service will not be enabled until the request for service activation has been completed which is normally within two hours.
The user can send an email to "email@example.com" and provide the following information:
- E-mail address
- WAN card type and MEID
- ThinkPad model
- Phone number
- Best time for callback