If you are unable to find your particular symptom or error, please refer to Need more help?
This document applies to the following ThinkPad systems:
Intermittent system hang problems can be due to a variety of causes that have nothing to do with a hardware defect, such as: cosmic radiation, electrostatic discharge, or software errors. Service part replacement should be considered only when a recurring problem occurs.
- G40, G41
- R40, R40e, R50, R50e, R50p, R51, R51e, R52, R60, R60e, R61
- T20, T21, T22, T23, T30, T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42, T42p, T43, T43p, T60, T60p, T61
- X30, X31, X32, X40, X41, X41 Tablet, X60, X60, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet, X300
- Z60m, Z60t, Z61e, Z61m, Z61t
When analyzing an intermittent problem, do the following:
You are here because the diagnostic tests did not identify which adapter or device failed, installed devices are incorrect, a short circuit is suspected, or the system is inoperative.
- Run the diagnostic test for the system board in loop mode at least 10 times
- If no error is detected, do not replace any service parts
- If any error is detected, replace the service part shown by the service part code. Rerun the test to verify that no more errors exist.
Follow these procedures to isolate the failing service part (do not isolate service parts that have no defects).
Please select one of the the following options for further assistance:
- Verify that all attached devices are supported by the computer.
- Verify that the power supply being used at the time of the failure is operating correctly.
- Power off the computer.
- Visually check each service part for damage. Replace any damaged service part.
- Remove or disconnect all of the following devices:
- Non-ThinkPad devices
- Devices attached to the port replicator
- Printer, mouse and other external devices
- Battery pack
- Hard drive
- External diskette drive
- CD-ROM drive or diskette drive in the Ultrabay
- PC Cards (PCMCIA)
- Power on the computer.
- Determine whether the problem has changed.
- If the problem does not occur again, reconnect the removed devices one at a time until you find the failing service part.
- If the problem remains, replace the following service parts one at a time (do not replace a non-defective service part):
- System board
- LCD assembly