Do not open your computer or attempt any repair before reading the "Important safety information". You can also find this information in the Safety and warranty guide that was included with your computer or in the Hardware Maintenance Manual (HMM) for the computer.
This section provides instructions on how to replace the hard drive.
Important: When you receive a new hard drive, you will also receive a Product Recovery CD. The Product Recovery CD will enable you to restore the contents of the hard drive to the same state as when your computer was originally shipped from the factory. For more information on recovering factory-installed software, refer to "Recovering software" in your Quick Reference.
- Open the computer cover. See "Cover removal and installation".
- Pivot the drive bay assembly upward to gain access to the hard drive.
- Pull the blue handle to slide the failing hard disk drive out the side of the drive bay far enough to disconnect the signal and power cables from the rear of the hard disk drive.
- Completely remove the hard disk drive from the drive bay.
- Remove the hard drive from the blue bracket by flexing the bracket enough to slide the drive out.
- To install the new hard drive into the blue bracket, flex the bracket and align the pins 1 through 4 on the bracket with the holes in the hard drive. Do not touch the circuit board 5 on the bottom of the hard drive.
- Insert the new hard disk drive into the drive bay far enough to connect the signal and power cables to the rear of the new hard disk drive.
- Completely slide the new hard disk drive into the drive bay until the drive locks into position.
- Go to "Completing the parts replacement".