|Note: Intermittent problems, including system lock-ups and hangs, cannot be consistently repeated and are therefore some of the most difficult problems to diagnose. Solving intermittent problems requires a patient, systematic process of elimination approach to troubleshooting. These intermittent problems can be caused by hardware or software, so it is very important to note any newly added options, applications, or updates.
Some of these steps may not apply to your computer. Test the system after performing each step.
Please select one of the following options for further assistance:
- Test the system for errors
- Go to http://support.lenovo.com and go to the downloads page for your specific machine type. Download, install and run the Diagnostic tools that are available for your machine.
- Remove and reseat all hardware (power supply, battery, cables, adapters, memory, etc.).
Note: Remove all of the hardware from the system first, and then wait for 30 seconds before reconnecting any of the hardware. Please try these one at a time to help determine if there is a specific device or function causing the issue.
- Disconnect the AC adapter.
- Remove the battery pack if it is externally accessible. If you have an internal battery, please use the battery reset button
- Remove the system memory.
- Remove the system hard drive.
Remove any other external hardware such as SD Cards, Optical Media, Printers, Webcams, external keyboards and mice
- Shut down, remove the power cord, and remove the battery or if you have an internal battery, please use the battery reset button from the ThinkPad system before removing the hard drive.
- Although the hard drive can be upgraded, it is not designed to be removed and reinserted on a regular basis. Repeated and frequent removal, for purposes other than to upgrade for greater capacity or problem determination, can cause damage to the system.
- Remove unnecessary hardware devices for testing purposes.
Remove hardware (and associated drivers) that is not required for normal system operation. This includes added memory.
- If you suspect a particular hardware device is causing the problem, swap the suspect device with an identical, known good, device, if available. Contact the hardware vendor’s support team for additional troubleshooting steps.
- Remove all surge protectors, cable extensions, switch boxes, etc. and use direct connections for power, video, keyboard and mouse.
- Verify that the latest BIOS for the ThinkPad system has been installed.
Go to http://support.lenovo.com and go to the downloads page for your specific machine type. Download, install and run the BIOS Update for your machine. You can also use Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update to search for newer drivers for your system.
- Install the latest Software and device drivers for the ThinkPad system devices. You can also use Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update to search for newer drivers for your system.
- Apply critical Microsoft Windows updates and patches. Visit the Microsoft Web site: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- Scan all the files on the system with AntiVirus software using the vendor's latest virus definitions.
- Scan the system for spyware using the anti-spyware software's latest definitions. Perform a Web search for spyware software for more information.
- Record all error messages, including memory addresses, reported when the problem occurs.
The exact text is required. Investigate possible causes of the error messages by searching at the Microsoft Knowledge Base Web site (http://support.microsoft.com), by searching the Internet for possible fixes or more information. Also go to http://support.lenovo.com and go to the Hints and Tips page for your specific machine type. You can also use Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update to search for Hotfixes available for your system
- For all non-ThinkAccessories hardware, install the latest firmware, device drivers, and software updates from the vendors' Web sites.
- Ensure the machine meets the hardware and operating system requirements of all installed software and hardware.
- If these steps have not solved your problem:
Refer to "Need more help?"
Note: Do not use this form to submit a technical question. We cannot respond to technical questions submitted through this feedback form.