ThinkPad may lock up or hang when using encryption on Hitachi 320GB Opal hard drives
When disk encryption software that utilizes certain Opal features is used on Hitachi 320GB Opal hard drives, the system may hang, freeze, or lock up.
The above symptom is associated with, but not limited to, the following systems:
System is configured with:
- A Hitachi 320GB Opal hard drive, model Z7K500-320, FRU# 42T1239 and software based disk encryption that uses Opal features. An example drive is shown below:
Update the drive’s firmware by following the steps below:
- Download the FWSH43.USB.ZIP file to your local drive.
- Unzip the FWSH43.USB.zip file. It will unzip to the FWSH43.USB folder.
- Insert a USB memory key into the USB slot.
- Execute \FWSH43.USB\USBFMTPW.EXE to create the DOS bootable USB memory key.
- Use the Windows Safe Removal process to remove the USB memory key. It is the icon in the system tray which is circled in the picture below:
- Insert the DOS bootable USB memory key into the USB drive of the target system and boot the system.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to identify the drive and update the firmware.
Lenovo, ThinkServer, ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, and ThinkPad are trademarks of the Lenovo Corporation in the United States, other countries, or both.
Microsoft, Windows, and the Windows logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
|País de disponibilidad
Documento de identidad
Legacy Document ID
© 2013 Lenovo. Todos los derechos reservados.