This document explains the basic steps for transferring data to another computer using System Migration Assistant. For more detailed information, please refer to the Help files included within the application. To access these help files, click the Help button in the lower right corner of the System Migration Assistant main window.Gather your materials:
- For automatic installation, you must have a crossover cable (regular Ethernet cable for computers with Gigabit Ethernet) or a local area network (LAN) in place.
- For manual installation, you must have some type of removable storage device. (Example: USB hard drive).
Prepare the target computer (the computer you are moving the data to):
A typical migration begins on the target computer by capturing settings and files on the source computer (computer you are moving the data from) through a PC-to-PC connection. SMA then applies the settings and files to the target computer. A typical migration automatically selects recommended settings and files for migration.
- Download and install the latest version of System Migration Assistant (SMA).
- Install any desired applications on the target computer.
Note: SMA will only migrate settings and data, not the applications.
- Check for Microsoft Windows updates.
- Close all running applications.
For information about customizing settings and files for a migration, see the Performing a custom migration section within the SMA Help.
Complete the following steps to perform a typical migration.
- Log on to the source computer and the target computer with administrative privileges.
- On the target computer, click Start, select Programs , select ThinkVantage, then click System Migration Assistant.
- From the ThinkVantage System Migration Assistant window, click Next.
- From the Select a migration method window, select Typical:
- Connect the two computers, using either a crossover cable or a local area network (LAN).
Note: If both computers have Gigabit Ethernet, a crossover cable is not required. You may use a regular Ethernet cable to transfer your data.
- From the Select an install method window, click Next.
- Select Automatic or Manual, then click Next.
- Automatic: SMA is installed automatically on the source computer once a connection has been established. If you select this option, proceed to the next step.
- Manual: This method involves copying the install package to a removable drive, then moving it to the source computer where it is installed manually. Use this method to migrate data between computers running Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0. If you select this option, complete the following steps:
- Attach a removable drive to the target computer.
- From the Copy window, click Next.
- Select a removable drive from the list, then click Copy. The Copy in progress window opens showing the status of the copying.
When the copy process is complete, the Establish a connection window opens.
- Detach the removable storage device from the target computer and attach it to the source computer.
- Navigate to and open the SMA Setup.bat file on the removable drive to begin the installation process.
- Disable all firewalls on the target computer or configure the firewall to allow SMA to establish a network connection, then click OK. Follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: For instructions on disabling or changing settings on your firewall, refer to the manual or documentation for your firewall software.
- On the source computer, click Start, then click Run...
Note: If the computer is running Microsoft Windows Vista, the Run command might not appear in the Start menu.
- To display the Run command in the Start Menu, right-click Start, then select Properties.
- Select the Start Menu tab and click Customize.
- Select Run command in the list of Start Menu options and click OK. Finally, click Apply in the Taskbar and Start Menu properties.
- To begin the installation, choose the connection used for migration, and type the command, such as \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\SMAPKG\Launcher.exe, where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the target computer. Click OK.
- When the installation is complete, the PC-to-PC connection is established automatically. From the Establishing a connection window, click Next on the target computer.
- On the source computer, select the settings and files you want to migrate. SMA captures the settings and files you have selected, and sends them to the target computer. This might take several minutes, depending on how many settings and files are being migrated. After the settings and files have been applied, a Migration Summary window opens.
Note: For more information about the custom migration options, see the Migration Options section within the SMA Help.
- Complete the following steps to save the summary or report file in a different location.
- Click Summary or Report.
- Click Save As.
- From the The Save As window, specify the location and the file name in the dialog box and click Save.
- On the source computer, click Finish.
- On the target computer, click Finish.