This details steps necessary to create a Windows bootable GUID Partition Table (GPT partition) on the TD230. This allows users to boot to a Windows based server OS on a partition that is greater than 2 TB.
The Lenovo Windows 2008 ROK DVDs do not support creation of bootable partitions >2 TB. The user must obtain a retail version of Windows Server 2008 to create bootable partitions >2 TB.
The above symptom may occur on the following systems:
- ThinkServer TD230 (type 1039, 1040, 1027, 1029)
Windows Server 2008 x64
Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
Windows Server 2008 SBS x64
The systems controller is the LSI 9240-8i RAID Controller.
Booting a Microsoft OS from a GPT partition on a TD230 is only possible with the LSI 9240-8i RAID card installed in addition, with a retail DVD version of any 64 bit Windows 2008 based Server.
- Configure RAID on the system and place the Windows Server 2008 retail DVD in the DVD drive. Make sure uEFI settings are at the default.
- Press F2 while booting to "enter setup" for the uEFI BIOS On the Default/Primary page, set the "Quiet Boot" field to "Disabled" "Advanced" page select "Mass Storage Controller Configuration"-verify/set "SATA Mode" field to "ACHI" Verify/Set "ACHI Option ROM" field to "Disabled" Back out to the main menu, and go to the "Boot Options" page. Set "EFI Optimized Boot" field to "Enabled" Verify/Set "Use Legacy Video For EFI OS" field to "Enabled" Save settings and reboot the machine Press F2 again while booting to "enter setup"
Go to "Boot Options" page and Verify/Set the "Boot Option #1" field to "Internal EFI Shell" Insert a retail Windows Server 2008 DVD into the drive Save settings and Exit uEFI BIOS
- Press F6 for "Boot Menu" at Prompt and Select "Internal EFI Shell.” This will take you to a command prompt. At the command prompt, change to the DVD-ROM and select the required GPT loading file by typing: fs0:EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI
Immediately after executing the previous command, you will be prompted to "Press Any Key..." and do so to boot the Windows installation from the DVD.
- Configure the Windows installation as needed until the Upgrade/Custom screen is presented at which time select Custom Install. Windows will not see the disk at this time so load the drivers for the 9240-8i. These are available from the Lenovo Support web site at the TD230 Drivers and software page
Note: If loading the RAID card drivers from a USB key, it will be necessary to leave the USB key plugged in throughout the entire installation.
"Disk 1 Unallocated Space" should now be visible, and at the bottom of the window is a message, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. (Show details)".
Note: Clicking (Show details) will bring up a new window message, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." Ignore the message and click "Next" to begin the installation
Once the Windows installation completes, verify the boot partition has used the entire disk that was set up at the beginning.