The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP EIDE Hard Drive is currently the fastest EIDE drive available for upgrading EIDE-based systems. It follows the tradition of the Deskstar family in providing a superior level of performance for a desktop drive.
The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP EIDE HDD features the latest ATA-4 interface, which continues to include UltraDMA Mode 2 (also referred to as Ultra ATA), enabling DMA burst data transfers at up to 33 MB/s. This drive combines this high-powered interface with a typical average read seek time of 9.5 ms, a rotational speed of 7200 rpm, a large 512 KB buffer, and exceptional recording density of 2.8 GB per disk platter to provide outstanding performance for the PC user. This recording density is enabled by the latest storage technology innovation Giant Magnetoresistive Effect heads.
The award-winning Deskstar GXP family of drives has received honors from some of the top trade journals, including PC Computing's "Best EIDE Drive 10GB and larger" (July 1998). When PC World asked leading PC manufacturers to submit their fastest 350 MHz and 400 MHz Pentium-based systems for a June 1998 review, eight out of nine systems tested included Deskstar GXPs. For the money, you can't buy a faster drive.
The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP EIDE HDD has the industry standard SelfMonitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) feature. S.M.A.R.T. provides advanced warning of an impending drive failure when used with the appropriate software such as Netfinity.
The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP EIDE HDD can be purchased in single units, which include the drive, Ontrack DiskGo! and Disk Manager installation software, mounting screws, and a User's Guide.
The new Windows-based DiskGo! program nearly automates the drive installation and setup process for Windows 3.XX, 95, and 98 users. The program learns its system environment, asks a few questions about the customer's requirements, then proceeds to lead the customer through the drive installation and setup. For those periods when the computer must be turned off for physical drive installation, DiskGo! prints customized installation steps.
3 year limited customer carry-in exchange
This product replaces
01K1330 - 9.1GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA HDD
This product was replaced by
One box containing...
Marketing and replacement part numbers (FRU)
- 10.1GB Hard Drive
- Ontrack DiskGo! and Disk Manager software
- BIOS limitations sheet
- User's Guide
- Specification sheet
Additional part numbers
- Marketing part number -> 20L0548
- FRU part number -> 10L6063
Part number(s) for ordering multiple quantities:
United States retail information:
Retail Model Number -> HD548
Retail UPC Code -> 0-87944-47151-6
Announce date-> 10/06/1998
Planned availability date-> 10/06/1998
Withdrawal date-> Not Applicable
Effective withdrawal date-> Not Applicable
Performance specifications as known at time of announcement
Access time Buffer size Max Data Rates
Sustained data rates
- Ultra DMA Mode 2: up to 33 MB/s
- DMA Mode 2 Burst Data Transfer Rate: up to 16.6 MB/s
- PIO Mode 4 Burst Data Transfer Rate: up to 16.6 MB/s
Formatted capacity Interface type Rotational speed Seek time
- up to 8 MB/s - 13 MB/s avg.
Physical, environmental, and compatibility specifications as known at time of announcement
- 9.5 ms (Typical Average read seek time)
Weight Height Width Depth Operating temperature
Relative operating humidity
- low of 5 degrees Celsius to a high of 55 degrees Celsius
- low of 41 degrees Fahrenheit to a high of 131 degrees Fahrenheit
Agency approvals ENERGY STAR-compliant
- low of 8% to a high of 90% (non-condensing)
* The ENERGY STAR emblem does not represent EPA endorsement of any product or service.
The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP EIDE HDD is supported on all models of the following platforms:
The 10.1GB Deskstar GXP HDD is compatible with systems that conform to the Enhanced IDE (ATA-4) interface.
- PC 300 GL (6275, 6285, 6561, 6591)
- PC 300 PL2 (6862, 6892)
- IntelliStation M-Pro (6889) and E-Pro (6893)
The BIOS in some systems may prevent the user from accessing this high-capacity drive. For these systems, the Ontrack(R) DiskGo!(TM) or Disk Manager(R) software device driver provided in the option is required to utilize the full drive capacity. Follow the instructions provided to properly install the Ontrack software.
Supported operating systems
- OS/2 Warp 4.x (Requires IDEDASD.EXE patch in order to recognize full capacity.)
- DOS 6.xx, 7.xx
- Novell Netware 4.x
- Microsoft Windows 3.1x
- Windows 95, Windows 95 OSR 2.X, Windows 98
- Windows NT 4.0(Note: Under Windows NT 4.0 it is currently not possible to see the full drive capacity and run in Ultra DMA mode simultaneously. If the Intel Busmaster driver is used, the drive will run in Ultra DMA mode, but will only see 8.4GB. If the NT 4.0 ATAPI driver is used, the full capacity can be seen but the drive will not run in Ultra DMA mode.)
Information will provide on how to obtain an update for your computer that simultaneously supports Ultra DMA and hard drive capacities greater than 8.4GB if it is made available. See the web site at http://www.pc.ibm.com/us for additional information.
If the Ontrack Disk Manager is installed with OS/2, DOS must be installed in the primary partition with remaining logical partitions defined in DOS and set up with dual boot or Boot Manager.
The system should provide sufficient outflow to maintain surface temperature below 60 deg C at the center top cover of the drive.
Requires Mounting Kit (01K1677) for second hard drive or Soft Mount Kit (01K5873) for 7200 rpm second hard drives and tape drives. Either can be purchased from Air Speed Inc. at (919) 304-5000 or internet at email@example.com.
- The symbol * means that the information is currently unavailable for this product.
- All dates are represented in the US English format of mm/dd/yyyy (where mm=month, dd=day, yyyy=year).
- FRU stands for Field Replacement Unit. It is the part number used for ordering service/replacement parts.
- Effective Withdrawal means that on the given date the products will have been withdrawn from marketing. After that date, the product can not be obtained directly.