- Analog Devices AD1981B AC97 Soft Audio
- AC97 2.2 compatible
- Speaker technology
- Volume up, down, and mute buttons
- Two audio jacks:
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for external microphone
- 86 key keyboard with imbedded numeric keypad and integrated UltraNav dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint and customized touch pad for the ultimate in pointing flexibility
- 90 DBCS key keyboard with imbedded numeric keypad and integrated UltraNav dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint and customized touch pad for the ultimate in pointing flexibility
- ThinkPad button, ThinkLight keyboard light, individual volume up, down, and mute buttons
- The keyboard has a Fn key which is a special key and is located in the lower left corner. The Fn key allows the user to instantly activate the following operational features by pressing the Fn key and a designated function key:
- Switching between Display device
- 64-bit Double Data Rate (DDR) non-parity SDRAM memory
- PC2700 at 333MHz
- Two 200 pin SO-DIMM memory slots, one slot is pre-populated with 128MB, 256MB or 512MB, leaving one socket available
- Supports up to two 1GB SDRAM SO DIMMs
- Supports maximum memory up to 2GB
- All systems come with the UltraNav dual-pointing system, featuring TrackPoint and customized touch pad for the ultimate in pointing flexibility is a part of the keyboard. The TrackPoint features Press-to-Select, Internet scroll, and magnifying glass for accurate and convenient control and comfort.
Available processors are :
- Intel Mobile Celeron M at 1.2, 1.3 GHz have 512KB onboard L2 cach memory
- Intel Celeron M 320 (1.3GHz, 512KB), 330 (1.5GHz, 512KB), 340 (1.5GHz, 512KB), 350 (1.3GHz, 1MB), 360 (1.4GHz, 1MB)
- Intel Mobile Pentium M at 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 GHz with Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology and 1MB onboard L2 cache memory
- Intel PM 715 (1.5GHz, 2MB), 725 (1.6GHz, 2MB), 735 (1.7GHz, 2MB), 745 (1.8GHz, 2MB)
- IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing.
- Speeds up to 4Mbps.
- Compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification
- Located on the front of the system
- Selected models have a modem communication daughter card (CDC)
- K56Flex v.92
Note: Public network download speeds are limited to 53kbps. Upload speeds are limited to 48Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum stated.
- 10/100 Ethernet or 1Gb Ethernet installed on systems on the system board
- Intel PRO 2200BG 802.11b/g wireless LAN on selected models
- IBM 802.11a/b/g wireless on selected models
- Intel 802.11b wireless on selected models
- Ultrabay Enhanced modular drive bay
- Integrated, easy-loading modular bay for fast swapping of optional Ultrabay Enhanced and Ultrabay Slim devices.
- With the Ultrabay Enhanced modular drive bay, you can add functions with a variety of optional devices.
- Second HDD adapter for Ultrabay Slim
- ThinkPad DVD-ROM Ultrabay Slim drive
- CD-RW/DVD Combo Ultrabay Enhanced
- Ultrabay Slim Li-Polymer battery 3-cell
- Ultrabay Enhanced device installation and removal instructions
- One Mini PCI IIIb slot (not CRU)
- One CDC slot (CRU)
- Two USB ports version 2.0
- One parallel (EPP, ECP) compatible
- Additional connector supports the optional Port Replicator and dock
- Two audio ports
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for microphone-in
- S-Video out
- IEEE 1394 included on select models.
- CRT port for external monitor
- Built-in RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors for telephony and LAN connections
Note: There is no Serial or PS/2 port but they can be obtained by getting the optional ThinkPad Port Replicator or ThinkPad Dock.
- Conforms to the PC Card Standard 95
- The Type III slot can accommodate one Type I, one Type II, or one Type III PC card
- Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported.
- PCMCIA 2.1 standard
- No zoom video support
- 14.1 in display - 314 mm (12.4 in)
- 15 in display - 332 mm (13.1 in)
- 14.1 in display - 260 mm (10.2 in)
- 15 in display - 269 mm (10.6 in)
- 14.1 in display - 34 to 37 mm (1.35 to 1.46 in)
- 15 in display - 37 to 40 mm (1.46 to 1.58 in)
- Weight with travel bezel: Depending on model and configuration, the approximate weight of the sysytem can range from 2.6kg (5.7lb) to 3.0kg (6.6lb)
- Configured system weight: Depending on model and configuration, the approximate weight of the system can range from 2.7kg (6.0lb) to 3.2kg (7.1lb)
- Battery pack (Li-Ion): 327 g (0.721 lb)
Note: All weight and dimensions are approximate.
- Heat dissipation: 246 Btu/hr maximum
- Heat emissions: 72 watts maximum
- FCC Class-B certified to comply with FCC Rules, Part 15
- VCCI Class B
- CSA C22.2 No. 950
- MPR-II (Sweden)
- CE Mark
- CCIB (for China)
- CCEE (for China)
- AC adapter: This ac-to-dc converter supplies the necessary power to the computer. The ac adapter also charges the battery pack when it is installed in the computer.
- Universal AC adapter (72 W):
- Input is 100/240V AC, 1.5/0.9A, 50/60Hz
- Output is 16 V dc, 4.5A
- The battery pack is an internal power source to the computer when the ac adapter is not available. The battery pack is rechargeable and is charged using the ac adapter with the system.
- You can determine how much battery power remains by using the fuel-gauge ThinkPad utility program, which displays the percent charge remaining.
- A six cell Li-Ion battery pack is shipped with the system. A nine cell Li-Ion battery is available as an option.
- A six or nine cell Li-Ion battery pack is shipped with the system.
- Approximate operation and charging hours are:
- Power off/suspend charging:
- Six cell Li-Ion battery: 3.6 hours
- Nine cell Li-Ion battery: 4.3 hours
- Charging during operation:
- Six cell Li-Ion battery: 4.0 hours
- Nine cell Li-Ion battery: 5.0 hours
- Approximate hours of battery operation:
- Six cell Li-Ion battery: From 4.0 hours to 4.7 hours
- Nine cell Li-Ion battery: From 6.0 hours to 6.9 hours
(*1) Recharge time also varies.
(*2) These model numbers achieved eTesting Labs, Inc.'s BatteryMark 4.0.1 or the Ziff Davis Media Inc.'s Business Winstone 2002 BatteryMarkTM Version 1.0 Battery Rundown Time of at least the times shown above. This test was performed without independent verification by VeriTest testing division of Lionbridge Technologies, Inc. ("VeriTest") nor Ziff Davis Media Inc.; neither Ziff Davis Media Inc. nor VeriTest makes any representations or warranties as to these test results. Battery life (and recharge times) will vary based on many factors including screen brightness, applications, features, power management, battery conditioning and other customer preferences.
- Security Chip on selected models
- Locking device in the security slot provides physical security.
- The Embedded Security Subsystem (TCPA compliant) provides for authentication and encryption of data communications. The integrated 802.11b wireless lets you connect to a LAN without wires or cables. To connect to the Internet, the optional High Rate Wireless Access Point 500 and an Internet phone number are required.
- A Power-on password (POP) protects the system from unauthorized use. If a POP is set, the password prompt appears:
- Each time the system is turned on
- When the system is returned to normal operation from suspend mode
- A Supervisor Password provides a higher level of security than the POP. The Supervisor Password protects the system functions from being used by unauthorized users,and protects the hardware configuration from unauthorized modification. The Supervisor Password prompt appears:
- When the BIOS setup screen is accessed.
- An HDD Password (HDP) protects HDD data from unauthorized users. Once HDP is set, data on the HDD cannot be accessed without the correct HDP. Because the HDP is stored in the HDD, the data remains protected even if the HDD is removed to another system. The HDP password prompt appears:
- Each time the system is turned on
|The following operating systems are supported on the ThinkPad R51 systems: |
- Windows 2000
- Windows XP Professional
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Previous versions of these operating systems are not supported.
- 24x/24x/24x/8x CD-RW/DVD
- CD-RW/DVD-R Multi-Burner
- Only available using USB or Docking solution
|Hard disk drive (HDD) features|
- Supported HDD thickness: 2.5mm for all systems
- Standard 20GB, 30GB, 40GB, 60GB, 80GB HDD sizes
- Supports one additional HDD which can be used concurrently to offer expanded storage in the Ultrabay Slim
- S.M.A.R.T technology to issue an alert if a hardware failure is pending
- ATA Bus Interface
- 4200, 5400,or 7200 rpm depending on drive size
- Although you can upgrade the hard disk drive, it is not designed to be removed and reinserted on a regular basis. Repeated and frequent removal, for purposes other than to upgrade for greater capacity, can cause damage to the system. The Ultrabay Slim hard disk drive adapter is designed to provide this flexibility with a second hard disk drive in the Ultrabay Enhanced.
- The Active Protection system, a ThinkVantage technology, helps protect your HDD from some damage that could be caused by shock. A system board-mounted sensor continuously monitors your ThinkPad notebook for sudden movement, and temporarily stops the HDD when a fall or similar event is predicted.
|14.1-in TFT display or 15in display |
- Video chipset is Intel 855GME for Intel Extreme Graphics 2
- ThinkPad R51 (2883, 2887, 2888, 2889, 2894, 2895) - Video color depth and refresh rates
|Resolution||LCD Color depth|
|640x480||256, 64k, 16M|
|800x600||256, 64k, 16M|
|1024x768||256, 64k, 16M|
|1280x1024||256*2, 64k*2, 16M*2|
|1600x1200||256*1, 64k*1, 16M*1|
|2048x1536||256*4, 64k*4, 16M*4|
|Resolution||Supported refresh rates in Hz for external monitors|
|640x480||60, 72, 75, 85, 90, 100, 120, 160 Hz|
|800x600||60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 90, 100, 120, 160 Hz|
|1024x768||60, 70, 72, 75, 85, 90, 100, 120, 150, 160 Hz|
|1280x1024||60, 70, 75, 85, 90, 100, 120, 160 Hz|
|1600x1200||60, 75, 85, 100, 120Hz|
|2048x1536||60, 66, 70, 75Hz|