A new family of data migration services, the Data Migration Kits offer data migration in a box. Three separate kits are available:
- Basic Kit
- Desktop with PCI Kit
- Mobile with PC Card Kit
The Data Migration Kits allow a user to easily transfer data and settings using the Data Transfer software application. By incorporating a user-friendly application, an easy-to-use user's guide, an Ethernet adapter card (Desktop with PCI and Mobile with PC Card Kits only), and a crossover cable, each kit simplifies the migration process and lets you save time compared with a manual migration.
The Data Migration Kits offer:
- RJ45 crossover cable
- Data migration software
- 10/100 Mbps PCI Ethernet Adapter Card (Desktop with PCI Kit Only)
- 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PC Card Adapter (Mobile with PC Card Kit Only)
- Supports Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows Me
- Meets industry standards with required certifications and logos
- Allows migration of user data files as well as Internet bookmarks, network settings, and Windows desktop settings
The Data Migration Kits can save the time it would take to transfer data manually from an old (source) computer to a new (target) computer. These kits are designed to utilize the system's Ethernet connection port to move a customer's data from their current system to their new one. A single migration can transfer up to 4.2GB of data at a transfer rate of up to 100 Mbps. The amount of data that can be transferred is subject to the amount of free space on the user's source system. The types of data that can be transferred are Microsoft Windows desktop settings, network settings, Internet bookmarks, and user data folders. This application does not transfer the operating system or applications.
Microsoft Windows desktop settings that can be transferred include the properties of the following items:
- Active desktop
- Icon fonts
- Screen saver
Network settings that can be transferred include the properties of the following items:
- Computer name
- DNS configuration
- RAS networking connections
- TCPIP configuration
- WINS configuration
Note: Active desktop must be installed on both the source and target computer to transfer Internet bookmarks. The source and target computer's hard drive must have free space equal to the amount of data that will be transferred.
The Data Transfer program used in the data migration process requires minimal user set-up. The program lets you select the folders that will be transferred. After the folders have been selected on the source computer, the program transfers all subfolders and files within the selected folders to drive C on the target computer. Each kit is designed to be used with new ThinkPad and Netvista systems that have Ethernet connectivity. The type of kit that should be ordered is based on the source computer's configuration.
- The Basic Kit is used for migrating a system that already has Ethernet connectivity.
- The Desktop with PCI Kit is used for migrating a desktop system without Ethernet connectivity. This kit includes a PCI Ethernet adapter to be installed in the source computer.
- The Mobile with PC Card Kit is used for migrating a mobile system without Ethernet connectivity. This kit includes a Ethernet adapter to be installed in the source computer.
Note: The source and target systems do not have to be the same type (desktop or mobile).
The Data Migration Kits allow user's to transfer up to 4.2GB of data and settings between two computers at a transfer speed of up to 100 Mbps. The transfer is done using an Ethernet connection between the two computers.
Performance specifications as known at time of announcement
- Ability to transfer data files, Windows desktop settings, Internet bookmarks, and network settings
- Data transfer rate of up to 100 Mbps
- Ability to transfer up to 4.2GB of data and settings