At a glance
The new 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 hard drive (HDD) offers an upgrade selected from the highest-quality HDDs available.
- 20,400MB formatted capacity
- 5.6 ms average latency
- 9.5 ms typical average read seek time
- 512KB adaptive buffer (up to 192KB reserved for drive firmware)
- Sustained data rates of 15 to 29 MBps
- 20.4GB per disk platter data recording density
- ATA/100 interface capability enabling up to 100 MB/sec** instantaneous interface data transfers
- Slim, one-inch-high profile
- Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)
** ATA/100 data rates require ATA/100 capability on the system board or an attached adapter card and the use of 80 conductor cabling.
IBM extends its line of mainstream 5400RPM EIDE hard drive upgrade options for IBM PCs and NetVista computers with a new 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 HDD.
This drive packs its full capacity on a single disk platter and can deliver up to 15 to 29 MBps of sustained data. It is well matched for data storage and retrieval needs in the most popular desktop applications including word processing, spread sheets, e-mail and Internet browsing.
Ontrack Disk Manager DiskGo! drive installation software is included with each HDD, for easy drive installation in just minutes. This software also enables use of the full GB capacity of this large drive despite hardware and operating system limitations that would otherwise limit usable capacity to 2.1GB, 4.2GB, or 8.4GB. This easy-to-use software is now shipped with all single-packed desktop EIDE HDDs in CD-ROM format with installation instructions in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.
NOTE: Some software may differ from its retail version (if available), and may not include user manuals or all program functionality. For non-IBM software, applicable third-party software licenses may apply. Warranty, service and support for non-IBM products, if any, are provided by third parties, not IBM. IBM makes no representations or warranties regarding non-IBM products.
The 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 HDD has Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.), which warns of predictable impending hard drive failure. Drives predicting failure within the limited warranty period are eligible for replacement, before failure, at IBM's expense. S.M.A.R.T. is compatible with IBM SMART Reaction software, which can perform unattended backup of customer data from the drive before failure.
This hard drive benefits from a drive quality, reliability, compatibility, and testing program that is second-to-none. As one of the premium PC system manufacturers, IBM installs millions of hard drives per year. Ongoing quality management in support of this production provides IBM's options customers with drives selected from among the highest-quality HDDs available. Offered with a three-year limited warranty, this drive takes on the warranty terms of the IBM PC system in which it is installed. For some IBM PCs, this also provides on-site service for up to three years.
NOTE: Customers with Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 3.1 are supported with customized printable online instructions in their choice of the six languages. Customers with no installed operating systems, or with other operating systems are supported with printed instructions in the six languages plus English language software. Diskettes may be created from the CD for drive installation in systems without CD drives.
3 year Limited - customer carry-in exchange
You will receive one box containing the following items:
- 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive
- User's Guide and User's Guide Supplement
- Ontrack Disk Manager DiskGo! installation software
Product marketing and replacement part numbers (FRU)
- Marketing part number: 22P7150
- Replacement part number (FRU): 19K1560
- Announce date: 31 Jul 2001
- Planned availability date: 2 Mar 2001
- Withdrawal date: 24 Dec 2002
Performance specifications as known at time of announcement
Actual performance varies based on many factors and is often less than the maximum possible.
- Formatted capacity: 20.4GB
- Rotational speed: 5400RPM
- Average latency: 5.6 ms
- Typical average read seek time: 9.5 ms
- Data buffer (adaptive segmented): 512KB (up to 192KB reserved for drive firmware)
- Interface performance: Ultra ATA/100
- Burst transfer rate (maximum): 100 MB/sec
- Sustained data transfer rate: 15 to 29 MBps
NOTE: The total user-accessible capacity can vary slightly based on operating system environments.
Physical, environmental, and compatibility specifications as known at time of announcement
Approximate widthApproximate depth
- Between 5 degrees Celsius and 55 degrees Celsius
- Between 41 degrees Fahrenheit and 131 degrees Fahrenheit
NOTE: To achieve the drive's potential high-reliability level, the system should provide sufficient air movement to maintain the drive surface temperature below 60 deg C.
Operating: between 5% and 85% (non-condensing)
- CE Mark
Hardware requirements for IBM systems
The 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive is supported on the following IBM systems.
|Aptiva||2158, 2163, 2164,||All|
|2165, 2170, 2171,||All|
|2172, 2173, 2174,||All|
|2187, 2188, 2198,||All|
|2199, 2193, 2194,||All|
|2196, 2197, 2274,||All|
|PC 300||6344, 6345||All|
|PC 300GL||6265, 6267, 6268,||All|
|6275, 6277, 6278,||All|
|6285, 6287, 6288,||All|
|6561, 6563, 6564,||All|
|6574, 6591, 6338,||All|
|PC 300PL||6562, 6565, 6584,||All|
|6592, 6594, 6862,||All|
|6892, 6566, 6595||All|
|NetVista A20||6266, 6269, 6270||All|
|NetVista A20i||6276, 6279|
|NetVista A40i||2251, 2271||All|
|NetVista A40/p||6058, 6578, 6579,||All|
|6648, 6649, 6830,||All|
|6831, 6840, 6841,||All|
|6059, 6568, 6569||All|
|NetVista S40p||6644, 6645, 6646||All|
Supported operating systems
The 20.4GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive is supported in the following environments.
- MS-DOS 6.22
- PC DOS 7.0
- PC DOS 2000
- Microsoft Windows 3.1
- Windows 95 A version
- Windows 95 B version
- Windows 98
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows 2000
- Windows Me
- OS/2 4.0
- NetWare 4.x
- This HDD adheres to the ATA/ATAPI-4 (X3T13/D1153 Revision 17) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard.
- Some configurations may not be compatible.
Some configurations may not be supported.
Approximately 30 minutes