At a glance
The new 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 hard drive is an upgrade, selected from the highest-quality Hard drives available. Features include:
- 40,000MB formatted capacity
- 5.6 ms average latency
- 12 ms typical average read seek time
- 512KB adaptive buffer**
- Sustained data rates of 20 to 32 MBps
- 40GB per disk platter data recording density
- ATA/100 interface capability enabling up to 100MB/sec*** instantaneous interface data transfers
- Slim, one-inch-high profile
- Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)
** Up to 192KB of the adaptive buffer is reserved for drive firmware.
*** ATA/100 data rates require ATA/100 capability on the system board or an attached adapter card and the use of 80 conductor cabling.
Mainstream 5400RPM EIDE hard disk upgrade options for PCs and NetVista computers with a new 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 HDD.
This drive packs its full capacity on just one disk platter and can deliver up to 20 to 32 MBps of sustained data. It is well matched for the high-performance data storage and retrieval needs of the most popular desktop computing applications including word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and Internet browsing.
Ontrack Disk Manager DiskGo! drive installation software is included with each hard disk, for easy drive installation in just minutes. This software also overcomes BIOS and operating system addressing limitations that could otherwise limit usable drive capacity to 2.1, 4.2, or 8.4GB. This easy-to-use software is now shipped with all single-packed desktop EIDE hard disk in CD-ROM format with installation instructions in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese.
NOTE: Customers with Microsoft Windows 95, 98 or 3.1 are supported with customized printable online instructions in their choice of the six languages. Customers with no installed operating systems, or with other operating systems are supported with printed instructions in the six languages plus English language software. Diskettes may be created from the CD for drive installation in systems without CD drives.
The 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 hard drive has Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.), which warns of predictable impending hard drive failure. Drives predicting failure within the limited warranty period are eligible for replacement, before failure. S.M.A.R.T. is compatible with SMART Reaction software, which can perform unattended backup of customer data from the drive before failure.
This hard drive benefits from an outstanding drive quality, reliability, compatibility, and an exceptional testing program. As one of the premium PC system manufacturers, who installs millions of hard drives per year. Ongoing quality management in support of this production provides customers with drives selected from among the highest-quality hard drives available. Offered with a three-year limited warranty, this drive takes on the warranty terms of the PC system in which it is installed. For some PCs, this also provides on-site service for up to three years.
3 year Limited - customer carry-in exchange
This product replaces
This product was replaced by
You will receive one box containing the following items:
- 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive
- User's Guide and User's Guide Supplement
- Ontrack Disk Manager DiskGo! installation software
NOTE: Some software may differ from its retail version (if available), and may not include user manuals or all program functionality. Third-party software licenses may apply.
Product marketing and replacement part numbers (FRU)
- Marketing part number: 22P7156
- Replacement part number (FRU): 19K1562
- Announce date: 17 Jul 2001
- Planned availability date: 14 Aug 2001
- Withdrawal date: not applicable
- Effective withdrawal date: not applicable
Performance specifications as known at time of announcement
Actual performance varies based on many factors and is often less than the maximum possible.
- Formatted capacity: 40GB
- Rotational speed: 5400RPM
- Average latency: 5.6 ms
- Typical average read seek time: 12 ms
- Data buffer (adaptive segmented): 512MB
- Up to 192KB reserved for drive firmware
- Interface performance: Ultra ATA/100
- Burst transfer rate (maximum): 100MB/sec
- Sustained data transfer rate: 20 to 32 MBps
NOTE: The total user-accessible capacity can vary slightly based on operating system environments.
Physical, environmental, and compatibility specifications as known at time of announcement
- Between 5 degrees Celsius and 55 degrees Celsius
- Between 41 degrees Fahrenheit and 131 degrees Fahrenheit
NOTE: To achieve the drive's potential high-reliability level, the system should provide sufficient air movement to maintain the drive surface temperature below 60 degrees Celsius.
Operating: between 5% and 85% (non-condensing)
- CE Mark
The 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive is supported on the following systems:
|Aptiva||2158, 2163, 2164, 2165, 2170, 2171, 2172, 2173, 2174, 2187, 2188, 2198, 2199, 2193, 2194, 2196, 2197, 2274, 2284, 2178||All|
|PC 300||6344, 6345||All|
|PC 300GL||6265, 6267, 6268, 6275, 6277, 6278, 6285, 6287, 6288, 6561, 6563, 6564, 6574, 6591, 6338, 6593, 6263||All|
|PC 300PL||6562, 6565, 6584, 6592, 6594, 6862, 6892, 6566, 6595, 6872||All|
|NetVista A20||6269, 6270||All|
|NetVista A20i||2193, 2194, 2275, 6276, 6279||All|
|NetVista A21||6339, 6341, 6342||All|
|NetVista A21i||2256, 2257||All|
|NetVista A40i||2251, 2271||All|
|NetVista A40/p||6058, 6578, 6579, 6648, 6649, 6830, 6831, 6840, 6841, 6059, 6568, 6569||All|
|NetVista A60||6833, 6838||All|
|NetVista A60i||6832, 6848||All|
Supported operating systems
The 40GB 5400RPM ATA/100 EIDE hard drive is supported in the following environments:
- MS-DOS 6.22
- PC DOS 7.0
- PC DOS 2000
- Microsoft Windows 3.1
- Windows 95 A version
- Windows 95 B version
- Windows 98
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows 2000
- Windows Me
- OS/2 4.0
- NetWare 4.x
- This HDD adheres to the ATA/ATAPI-4 (X3T13/D1153 Revision 17) American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standard.
- Some configurations may not be compatible
Some configurations may not be supported.
Cable orders required
Approximately 30 minutes
- The symbol * means that the information is currently unavailable for this product.
- FRU stands for Field Replacement Unit. It is the part number used for ordering service/replacement parts.
- Effective Withdrawal means that on the given date the products will have been withdrawn from marketing. After that date, the product can not be obtained directly.