The ThinkPad X21 notebook computer is the optimal notebook for portability and function. This thin and light powerhouse computer features the 308-mm (12.1-in) TFT display and an impressive selection of options including memory, port replication, and docking.
The sleek ThinkPad X21 is as thin as 23.9-mm (.94-in) and as light as 1.43 kg (3.1 lb). Its dimensions are 279.4 mm (11.0 ins) x 226.8 mm (8.9 in). The new Titanium Composite cover provides added strength.
All ThinkPad X21 models come with an UltraPort connector on the edge of the top panel. This new innovative port supports an optional digital camera.
- Featuring the Intel(R) Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 600 or 700 MHz with Intel SpeedStep(TM) technology for both maximum and battery-optimized performance or Intel Mobile Celeron(TM) processor at 500 MHz Japan only, depending on model
- Accelerated graphics port (AGP) 2x
- 128 or 256 KB L2 onboard cache, depending on model
- 100 MHz front-side system bus
- Large 20.0 GB(5) or 10 GB hard disk drive (HDD), depending on model
- Standard 128 or 64 MB memory, expandable with an SDRAM model to a maximum 384 MB
- Integrated mini-PCI 56K V.90 modem and 10/100 Ethernet combo on select models
- Built-in RJ11 and RJ45 connectors for telephony and LAN connection
- Brilliant, bright 308-mm (12.1-in) XGA TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution or 308-mm (12.1-in) SVGA TFT display with 800 x 600 resolution
Ease of use
- ThinkLight(TM) - easy to see your keyboard in low-light conditions during presentations or on a plane
- ThinkPad Button - one-button access to online information you need
NOTE: Requires Internet access, available separately.
Robust system manageability
Supports Universal Manageability (UM) Services, a set of management tools that enhances existing systems and products.
Optimized flexibility optional features
Using the optional UltraBase X2 with the UltraBay 2000, fast and easy hot-and warm-swapping of most components gives you the flexibility to configure the system.
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
New business software models
Select models have included Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business software preinstalled to exploit the IBM ThinkPad X21 for business customers.
(1) Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
(2) Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery.
(3) Titanium Composite Fiber Reinforced Plastic has three times the strength as ABS plastic as tested by IBM using High Flex Modulus Test on February 28, 2000.
(4) MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. For Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology, MHz speed denotes maximum performance mode; battery-optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
(5) GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
(6) Recognizes up to 384 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMM can be added in the available slot for memory expansion.
(7) The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
(8) Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
(9) The second battery option is not supported in the UltraBase X2.
At a glance
- Intel(R) Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 600 or 700 MHz featuring SpeedStep(TM) technology for maximum and battery-optimized performance
- Intel(R) Mobile Celeron(TM) processor at 500 MHz for Japan only
- Sleek profile and light weight
- Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 98 Second Edition or Windows(R) 2000 Professional, depending on model
- Easy one-button access to information on your system via portals to the Web with the new ThinkPad Button
- 100 MHz front-side system bus with 100 MHz memory modules
- Standard 128 or 64 MB memory and 20.0 or 10 GB hard disk drive (HDD) standard
- Brilliant 308-mm (12.1-in) TFT display (1024 x 768)
- Enhanced graphics enabling multiple monitor support
- Optional features to enhance flexibility and function
- Advanced system manageability
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business software on select models
ThinkPad X21 Features
Latest processor technology
- Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 600 or 700 MHz featuring Intel Speedstep(R) technology with two performance modes:
- Maximum performance mode for top performance while connected to external power.
- Battery-optimized performance mode for balance between performance and battery life when operating on battery power. In this mode the MHz speed is reduced to approximately 80% of maximum performance with approximately 50% of the power consumption to conserve battery power.
- Mobile Celeron processor at 500 MHz
Superior security and manageability
- Supports Universal Manageability (UM) Services, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with and complement existing systems management products
- Complies with the industry-standard Common Information Model
- Designed to the Wired for Management 2.0 and PXE 2.0 requirements for mobile systems
- Local and remote asset management and early detection of hard drive failure via UM Services(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
Microsoft Office 2000 small business software
Select models will have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business software which is a powerful office tool for small enterprises.
LCD TFT display
The new ThinkPad X21 models come with a 308-mm (12.1-in) XGA TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution or a 308-mm
(12.1-in) SVGA TFT display with 800 x 600 resolution.
Video Modes -- X21 (4M SGRAM)
External Monitor*2 (CRT only)
|640 x 480|
|800 x 600|
|1024 x 768|
|1280 x 1024|
|1600 x 1200|
*1 Supported in panning mode.
*2 The approximate value when using only an external monitor. When the LCD and external monitor modes are used at the
same time, refresh rate, resolution, or color depth may be lower.
Keyboard and TrackPoint with enhanced features
- The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control
- The ThinkPad X21 is euro hardware ready (EMEA models only).
- The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function. Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and help reduce key strokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
- Mobile Pentium III at 600 MHz or Celeron processor at 500 MHz. The Pentium III models have the Intel SpeedStep
feature designed to extend battery life. When operating on battery only, the processor speed slows slightly to extend the life of the battery.
- The basic system has 64 MB or 128 MB memory standard and can be configured for up to 384 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM a module can be added to the extra slot for memory expansion.
- The PC card slot accommodates either two Type I, one Type II, or one Type II Compact Flash. The slot supports the CardBus adapters and the PC card and is currently available in Windows 98 or Windows 2000 Professional, depending on model
The customer removable, upgradable hard disk drive (HDD) is 20 or 10 GB standard, depending on model.
The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports
Sound Blaster audio applications.
Models with Windows 98 Second Edition support a system display and an external monitor simultaneously while different
applications are on each screen. Move the cursor from one screen to the other and drag and drop items from the application on one screen to the application on the second screen.
The ThinkPad X21 systems include these ports:
- External display
- Line in
- RJ11 and RJ45
- Docking/UltraBase X2
The USB port, which connects external drives and other devices, is suported by Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98, and Windows 98 Second Edition, or later.
The 240-pin connector supports these optional docking solutions:
- Simple port replication and cable management with the ThinkPad Port Replicator that offers quick access to desktop resources such as printer, external monitor, USB devices, WorkPad PC companion cradle, and more
- More advanced docking solution with the ThinkPad Dock:
- Same cable management features as the ThinkPad Port Replicator
- Expansion capability with Ultrabay 2000, a half-size PCI card slot, two PC card slots, and two USB ports.