The ThinkPad TransNote system is a revolutionary portfolio notebook that incorporates paper and ink. With its breakthrough design and unique ability to capture and manage handwritten information, the ThinkPad TransNote computer establishes a new model for flexibility and ease of use.
This sleek notebook weighs less than 2.5 kg (5.5 lb) including battery, digital pen, and paper pad, and is just 32.0 mm (1.3 in) thin. The ThinkPad TransNote computer is the perfect system for mobile professionals who need to include handwritten information in their daily work.
- Touch screen, keyboard, or digital notepad and pen for entering and retrieving information.
- ThinkScribe digital notepad and digital pen to automatically capture handwritten information.
- Pivoting 264.2 mm (10.4 in) FlipTouch display for easy screen navigation and convenient retrieval of key information.
- Intel Pentium III 600 MHz(2) Mobile processor with SpeedStep technology, 10 GB HDD, and 64 MB of RAM expandable to 320 MB.
- Easy-grip Endurimer material cover.
- Ink Manager Pro software for organizing, searching, and managing your paper-based information.
- Run-time flexibility with easy "warm swap" Li-Ion battery and the ability to capture notes on the ThinkScribe for weeks without the PC turned on.
- Versatile communications with the 56K V.90 modem and 10/100 Ethernet industry-standard mini-PCI combination card.
- Network ready with RJ-45 and RJ-11 ports standard to allow modem and LAN support without cable or card swapping.
- Windows 2000 or Windows 98 Second Edition preloaded.
- ThinkPad button with Access ThinkPad.
- Industry-leading IBM service and support with a one-year limited warranty.
- TransNote Port Extender with power, video, and two USB ports with one cable connection to the IBM Multiport hub.
- Multiport hub with serial, parallel, four USB, keyboard, and mouse ports.
- 802.11b LAN or Bluetooth PCMCIA cards for wireless connectivity in or out of the office.
- 20 GB HDD.
- 1 GB or 340 MB Microdrive.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and optional travel bezel.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not applicaion performance. Many factors affect application performance. For Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology, MHz speed denotes maximum performance mode; battery-optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to HDD. Accessible caacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 320 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory option of up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs can be added in the one available slots for memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Refer to the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty for terms governing IBM support obligations. For a copy of the Statement of Limited Warranty, customers can contact their authorized IBM Business Partner or IBM customer representative.
At a glance
The ThinkPad TransNote computer brings you innovative technology, instant productivity with preinstalled software, and outstanding service and support at an attractive price.
- ThinkScribe digital notepad and digital pen.
- Pivoting 264 mm (10.4 in) TFT FlipTouch touch screen display.
- FlexFold design for convenient use of either the PC or ThinkScribe.
- Easy grip Endurimer cover
- Ink Manager Pro software
- Mobile Pentium III processor at 600 MHz with SpeedStep technology.
- 64 MB of 100 MHz memory, expandable to a maximum of 320 MB using an optional 256 MB memory expansion card.
- High-capacity 10 GB HDD with password protection.
- Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 98 SE preloaded; support for Windows Me.
ThinkPad Transnote Features
Flip Touch Display
Pivoting 264.2 mm (10.4-in) LCD (measured diagonally) with 800 x 600 resolution display provides excellent viewing and usability. Use a stylus tip on the digitizer pen or your fingertip for convenient information access, cursor control, and on-screen annotation without a keyboard or mouse. You can adjust the screen to whatever angle is most comfortable. The screen and image even flip to show presentations or information to someone sitting across from you.
For the ThinkPad TransNote Models with resolution of 800 x 600
(4 MB of VRAM)
External Monitor (CRT only mode)
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1600 x 1200
*1: Panning on LCD
*2: NA for Windows 2000, 64K for Windows 98 SE
Flip Touch Control
One-button access to a variety of button-style system controls that can be used even when the keyboard is covered by
the FlipTouch display. These include:
- Screen brightness
- Second display: Quickly enable a second display, such as a projection system or second CRT
- High contrast mode: Automatically convert screen to a mode for easier viewing when the display is at a low angle
- Screen image flip: One-button 180 degree rotation of the displayed image for presenting information "right side up" on the pivoting FlipTouch display to someone opposite you.
NOTE: Direct draw applications, animations, movies, and full-screen DOS mode may not be viewable on screen image flip.
- IBM TouchBoard: Soft touch-screen keyboard for entering information without using the hardware keyboard; offers a variety of keyboard formats and can be sized to your preference
- Graphics tablet mode: Turns the ThinkScribe and digital pen into a real-time cursor control for the PC or real-time graphics input.
- Changing paper pad: Quickly change the pad in Ink Manager Pro after you insert a new paper pad in the ThinkScribe.
Flex Fold Design
Dual-folding hinge enables use of either the PC or ThinkScribe in a single motion; easy to use while you are standing or
working in a small environment, such as an airplane.
Ink Manager Pro Software
Fully integrated system for organizing and managing handwritten information. Ink Manager Pro features:
- Easy organization and search of handwritten information (ink). Any ink captured on the ThinkScribe can be organized in ink files and can be searched by date, keyword, or ink file.
- Easy sharing of ink. You can take ink from Ink Manager or directly from the ThinkScribe and paste it directly into another application, such as e-mail, presentation, or word processing documents. You can also edit, annotate, enhance, or convert ink to another graphic format before pasting it to another application.
- Task organization: Through the ThinkScribe, you can create handwriten to-do's and phone messages, and then automatically organize them in a separate file, where they can be prioritized, annotated, and assigned due dates. To-do's and message ink can even be marked as an electronic Post-it(R) note, and displayed on the desktop.
- Integration of customized forms: You can use paper forms on the ThinkScribe and integrate them electronically into their application. This feature requires customization or software from a third party solution provider.
Endurimer Cover Material
This easy-to-grip synthetic cover is comfortable to carry.
Keyboard and TrackPoint with enhanced features
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that | allow you to quickly access system functions, such as power management control.
Mobile Pentium III processors at 600 MHz with SpeedStep technology for exceptional performance and efficient operation.
The customer-removable 10.0 GB HDD with password protection is standard.
Uses non-parity 64-bit 100 MHz SDRAM memory. Standard 64 MB can be expanded to a maximum of 320 MB.
Modem and Network Capability
Versatile communications with the 56K V.90 modem and 10/100 Ethernet industry-standard mini-PCI combination card. Network ready with RJ-45 and RJ-11 ports standard to allow modem and LAN support without cable or card swapping
PC Card and Compact Flash Cards
The Type II PC Card slot accommodates one Type II 16-bit PC card or 32-bit CardBus card option. Zoom video is not supported. The Type II Compact Flash slot accepts a variety of re movable expansion media including the 1 GB or 340 MB Microdrive and compact flash memory.
All models support Sound Blaster audio applications. Systems are equipped with jacks for external stereo speakers or headphone and external microphone.
1 4.0 MB video RAM for excellent video performance.
On-board, industry-standard port for high-speed peripherals such as printers, keyboards, diskette drives, and digital cameras.
IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. Supports IrDA 1.1 mode (from 115 Kbps to 4 Mbps).
External Display Port
For use with a second monitor or connection to a video projection system.
ThinkPad Button and Access ThinkPad
Easy access to valuable online and on-system information resources to help you set up, learn about, and enhance the ThinkPad TransNote system.
Post-It Software Notes Lite
The convenience of Post-it notes on the computer. Notes are easily created and posted to the desktop screen.
Supports the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 98 Second Edition
- Windows Me
- Windows XP