In response to growing worldwide customer demand for systems configured with the Linux operating system, IBM is among the first major vendors to offer competitively priced ThinkPad computers that include the OpenLinux eDesktop(TM) 2.4 operating system distributed by Caldera(TM) Systems, Incorporated.
ThinkPad T21, T22 models with Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 operating system support many features and options that are common with the ThinkPad A21p and A21m. Features include the Ultrabay(TM)2000.
The ThinkPad T21, T22 has a sleek form of about 33.1 mm (1.3 in) thin(1) and optimal travel configurations weighing 2.1 kg (4.6 lb)(2). Its dimensions are 304 x 250 mm (20.0 x 9.8 in). The new titanium composite cover provides added strength(3).
- Intel(R) Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 800 or 900 MHz(4), featuring Intel(R) SpeedStep(TM) technology for both maximum and battery- optimized performance(5)
- Accelerated graphics port (AGP) 2x
- 256 KB onboard cache
- 100 MHz front-side system bus
- Large 20.0 GB(6) hard disk drive (HDD)
- Standard 128 MB SDRAM, expandable to 512 MB(7)
- Integrated Mini-PCI 56 K(8) V.90 modem
- 8x-2.3x(9) DVD
- Built-in RJ-11 connector
- Bright 358.1-mm (14.1-in) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution
Ease of use
- ThinkLight(TM) - easy to see your keyboard in low-light conditions
- ThinkPad Button - one-button access to information you need, along with ThinkPad portals for mobile solutions, service, support, and more.
NOTE: Requires Internet access available separately.
Optimized flexibility with optional features
With the Ultrabay 2000, cold swapping of selected components gives you the flexibility to configure the system.
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and optional travel bezel.
- Titanium composite fiber reinforced plastic has three times the strength as ABS plastic as tested by IBM using high flex modulus test on February 28, 2000.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- With the Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 operating system, the processor speed is determined by what mode the system is in when it is started and does not change if the power mode is changed while the system is running. If it is started connected to the AC power adapter, the processor will run at maximum speed. If started in battery mode, the processor will run at approximately 80% of maximum speed.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 512 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
- IBM, OS/2, ThinkPad, IBM Business Partner, and IBM Support Center are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both.
- Ultrabay, ThinkLight, ThinkPad Assistant, TrackPoint, and OrderBUILDER are trademarks of International Business Machines in the United States or other countries or both.
- Intel and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation. SpeedStep is a trademark of Intel Corporation.
- Caldera, OpenLinux, eDesktop are trademarks of Caldera Systems, Inc.
- Microsoft, Windows, and Windows NT are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
- Other company, product and service names may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
At a glance
The ThinkPad T21, T22 with OpenLinux eDesktop (TM) 2.4 operating system features:
- Intel(R) Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 800 or 900 MHz, featuring Intel(R) SpeedStep(TM) technology
- Sleek profile and light weight
- Easy one-button access to information on your system via portals to the Web, with the new ThinkPad Button
- 100 MHz front-side system bus with 100 MHz memory modules
- 128 MB memory and 20.0 GB hard disk drive (HDD) standard
- Integrated Mini-PCI V.90 modem
- Brilliant 358.1-mm (14.1-in) TFT display at 1024 x 768 resolution
- 8x-2.3x DVD drive
- Many optional features to enhance flexibility and function
- Three-year, limited warranty(10) (United States, Latin America, Canada, Europe Middle East Africa
- IBM Support Center(R) (800-426-7378) (United States, Canada)
- Refer to the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty for terms governing IBM support obligations. For a copy of the IBM Statement of Limited
Warranty, customers can contact their authorized IBM Business Partner or IBM customer representative.
- Copies of the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty can be obtained by contacting your reseller or calling IBM. In the United States,
| call IBM at 800-426-7378. In Canada, call IBM at 800-565-3344.(United States, Canada)
- IBM SystemXtra support services and financing
Latest processor technology:
- Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 800 or 900 MHz, featuring Intel SpeedStep(TM) technology with two performance modes.
- Maximum performance mode for top performance while connected to AC power using the AC power adapter
- Battery-optimized performance mode for balance between performance and battery life when operating on battery power
NOTE: In this mode the MHz speed is reduced to approximately 80% of the maximum performance (MHz speed) with approximately 50% of the power consumption to conserve battery power. With the Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 operating system, the processor speed is determined by the mode that the system is in when it is started and does not change if the power mode is changed while the system is running. If it is started connected to the AC power adapter, the processor runs at maximum speed. If started in battery mode, the processor runs at approximately 80% of maximum speed.
Superior security and manageability
Complies with the industry-standard Common Information Model
An 8x-2.3x DVD drive is installed. DVD movie playback is not supported.
LCD TFT display
The new ThinkPad T21, T22 models come with a 358.1-mm (14.1-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes(2) -- T21, T22 (8M SGRAM)
|LCD ||External Monitor*2 (CRT only) |
|Resolution ||TFT ||85Hz ||75Hz ||72Hz ||70Hz ||60Hz |
|640 x 480 ||16M ||16M ||16M ||16M ||NA ||16M |
|800 x 600 ||16M ||16M ||16M ||16M ||NA ||16M |
|1024 x 768 ||16M ||64k(1) ||16M ||NA ||16M ||16M |
|1280 x 1024 ||64k(1,2) ||64k(1) ||64k(1) ||NA ||NA ||64k(1) |
|1400 x 1050 ||NA ||NA ||NA ||NA ||NA ||NA |
(1) Windows 98. 16M with Windows 2000
(2) The approximate value when using only an external monitor. When the LCD and external monitor modes are used at the same time, refresh rate, resolution, or color depth may be lower.
Keyboard and TrackPoint
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power-management control.
The ThinkPad T21, T22 is euro hardware ready.(Europe, Middle East, Africa)
Mobile Pentium III at 800 or 900 MHz, 256 KB of onboard cache, and floating-point decimal provide exceptional performance.
The system has 128 MB of memory standard and can be configured for up to 512 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to
256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card.
The customer-removable HDD is 20.0 GB standard. You can add options in the Ultrabay 2000, to expand the functionality of the system. The 1.44 MB diskette drive can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad T21, T22 Ultrabay 2000 or attached externally for added flexibility by using an optional adapter and cable available from IBM.
Full-duplex audio on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
The system has one fast IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad T21, T22 is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1.
The ThinkPad T21, T22 systems include these ports:
- Enhanced parallel
- External display
- Line in
- USB port
The USB port, which connects external drives and other devices, is supported by Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98, Windows 98
2 Second Edition, or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later. The Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 operating system supports only the mouse and keyboard in the USB port. Support for the USB port may vary by operating system.
The 240-pin connector supports ThinkPad Port Replicator simple port replication and cable management.