- Intel Mobile Pentium III processor at 850 MHz with SpeedStep technology and 256 KB onboard L2 cache memory
- Large, brilliant 15-in (1600 x 1200) active matrix TFT display with vibrant colors
- 32.0 GB(2) high speed hard disk drive (HDD)
- 128 MB of 64-bit SDRAM memory, expandable up to 512MB
- Mini-PCI modem with 56 K (4) V.90 technology or modem/ethernet combo, depending on model
- 8x-2x(5) variable-speed DVD-ROM
- Thin and lightweight
- S-Video in and out ports for expanded multimedia
- UltraPort connector to mount optional UltraPort camera for various video applications
- Titanium Composite (8) material in top cover to protect display.
- Desktop expansion with integrated, easy-loading modular Ultrabay 2000, PC Card slots, and optional ThinkPad Port Replicator, ThinkPad Dock, -- all common with the ThinkPad T21 Series
- ThinkPad Button, Access ThinkPad, and ThinkPad Assistant
- ThinkLight keyboard light
- Individual volume up, down, and mute buttons
- TrackPoint(R) with Press-to-Select, Internet scroll, and magnifying glass features for accurate and convenient control
- User-installable mini-PCI options; modem only or modem-LAN combination
- Wireless LAN solution via optional IBM High Rate Wireless PC Card and optional IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Access Point
- RJ45 and RJ11 connectors standard on all systems
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. In Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology MHz speed denotes Maximum performance mode; Battery-optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 512 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and optional travel bezel.
- Titanium Composite Fiber Reinforced Plastic has three times the strength as ABS plastic as tested by IBM using High Flex Modulus. Test on February 28, 2000.
- Refer to the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty for terms governing IBM support obligations. For a copy of the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty, customers can contact their authorized IBM Business Partner or IBM customer representative.
At a glance
ThinkLight keyboard light
- The ThinkLight allows you to keep working in low-light conditions, enabling you to take your work virtually anywhere.
- Intuitive volume control
- Individual volume up, down, and mute buttons offer easier volume control.
Wireless LAN via an optional IBM High Rate Wireless LAN PC Card and the IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Access Point
RJ45 and RJ11connectors enable modem or LAN support when the mini-PCI modem-LAN combination is installed. These connectors are duplicated in the ThinkPad Port Replicator and ThinkPad Dock to enable modem and LAN support without cable or card swapping.
- Mobile Pentium III processor featuring SpeedStep technology
- 5.0-in active matrix TFT display at 1600 x 1200 resolution
- Fast 100 MHz FSB memory
- 32 GB of high speed (5400 rpm) storage capacity with up to 64 GB with second HDD
- Mini-PCI bay for integrated network and communications
- 128 MB memory standard up to 512 MB maximum expansion
- UltraBay with DVD drive, supports optional CD-RW, CD-ROM, SuperDrive 0), second HDD, second battery, and 250 MB Zip drive
- Family of expansion and docking options, common across ThinkPad A and T Series
High performance graphics and rich multimedia
The ThinkPad A21p is a mobile solution for advanced multimedia applications that had previously required a bulky desktop workstation. Its high-performance, multimedia-centered design includes these innovative features:
- Video-in and video-out ports with MPEG-2 video-capture capability
- Ultraport on top of the display to support new options such as digital cameras for still image capture and editing, video editing, and video e-mail
- Large 15-in active matrix TFT display featuring 1600 x 1200 resolutions
- Excellent stereo audio with 3D sound and speaker technology
- Large memory and storage capacity for high-performance execution of large media files and multimedia applications
- Dual-mode, high-performance Intel Pentium III processor with speedster technology
- Titanium Composite material in the top cover to help protect the display and enhance strength The ThinkPad A21p shares many common options with the ThinkPad T21 series, including:
- UltraBay 2000 devices
- ThinkPad Port Replicator and ThinkPad Dock
- UltraPort connector solutions
- 72 W power adapter
- System memory
- Hard disk drives (HDDs)
- Mini-PCI communications options
- External battery charger
Commonality with the ThinkPad T21and A21m
The ThinkPad A21m shares many common features with the ThinkPad T21, A21m and A21e series. They share common Ultrabay 2000 devices such as DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, SuperDisk (LS-120), CD-R/W, hard disk drives (HDDs), and batteries.
Innovative ease of use
With its convenient all-in-one design, integrated DVD-ROM drive, HDD, diskette drive, and high-speed modem or modem-Ethernet combination, depending on model, the ThinkPad A21p works right out of the box. Productivity and ease of use are enhanced for novices as well as experienced users with ergonomic features that include:
- ThinkPad Button for one-touch access to Access ThinkPad and ThinkPad Assistant (requires Internet access account available separately)
- Internet scroll bar for effortless scrolling through Web pages or large spreadsheets
- A keyboard with full-size keys, a TrackPoint pointing device, spacious palm rest, and sloped design for comfortable typing
- Modular Ultrabay 2000
The ThinkPad A21p Ultrabay 2000 offers tremendous flexibility. The integrated, easy-loading modular bay allows you to add functionality with the fast swapping of a variety of devices. You can use the standard or optional device you need:
- Second battery
- Second HDD
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Zip drive 250 MB
ThinkPad A21p Features
This ThinkPad includes the largest and highest resolution active matrix TFT display of any ThinkPad to date -- a large 381-mm (15.0-in) screen. Resolutions are shown in the following table.
For ThinkPad A21p 2629-Hxx with 1600 x 1200 resolution 381-mm (15.0-in) TFT
(Total of 16 MB of 8 MB SGRAM)
External Monitor (CRT only)
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1400 x 1050
1600 x 1200
Keyboard and TrackPoint with Press-to-Select
The keyboard has the | familiar layout of a ThinkPad keyboard with function keys that allow quick access to system functions, such as power management control. Use the TrackPoint with Press-to-Select to select objects by pressing the TrackPoint cap.
Mobile Pentium III processor at 850 MHz with SpeedStep technology and 256 KB full-speed onboard L2 cache.
Non-parity, 64-bit SDRAM SO DIMM memory. Standard memory of 128 MB is expandable to a maximum of 512 MB with 64, 128, or 256 MB DIMMs. The 128 MB card can be replaced with a 256 MB card and another 256 MB card added to the extra slot.
The Type III slot can accommodate two Type I or two Type II, or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported. Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port.
PC Card Support Software
The auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA cards by sensing them automatically. PCMCIA cards supported by the auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales Manual.
Standard 32 GB; optional 10, 20, and 32 GB HDDs are also available. Two HDDs can be used concurrently to offer expanded storage. These HDDs issue an alert if a failure is pending.
Software MPEG-1 support on Windows 98 systems provides multimedia viewing without such hardware prerequisites as ZV port cards.
8x-2x variable-speed DVD-ROM.
Excellent sound quality with two stereo speakers, 16-bit stereo audio supporting Sound Blaster Pro, built-in stereo speakers, microphone, and volume control.
Three audio jacks:
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for an external microphone
- One for line-in
AGP2x with video acceleration provides exceptional video performance.
IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. ThinkPad A21p models are compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification with speeds up to 4 Mbps.
Enhanced parallel, SVGA (external display), pointer-keyboard-keypad, serial, and universal serial bus (USB) ports. Additional connector supports the optional ThinkPad Port Replicator or the optional ThinkPad Dock.