The ThinkPad A20p launches the next generation of innovative high performance, all-in-one desktop replacement notebooks. Delivering leadership design and ease of use, this new ThinkPad is optimized for high performance graphics and multimedia centered applications with award winning IBM service and support.
The ThinkPad A20p is the best mobile solution for demanding professional user applications in electronic design, digital content creation, mechanical CAD/CAM, software engineering, and financial services.
The ThinkPad A20p is a convenient all-in-one design, integrated DVD-ROM drive, HDD, diskette drive, and highspeed modem, or modem Ethernet combination, depending on model, the ThinkPad A20p works right out of the box. Productivity and ease of use are enhanced for novices as well as experienced users with ergonomic features that include:
- ThinkPad button for one-touch access to intelligent online help and the World Wide Web
- Internet scroll bar for effortless scrolling through Web pages or large spreadsheets
- Full-size keyboard with TrackPoint pointing device, spacious palmrest, and sloped design for comfortable typing
- Modular Ultrabay 2000
- The ThinkPad A20p Ultrabay 2000 offers unprecedented flexibility. The integrated, easy-loading modular bay allows you to add functions with fast swapping of a variety of devices. You can use the device you need:
- Second battery
- Second HDD
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- ThinkLight keyboard light. The new ThinkLight allows you to keep working in low-light condiions, enabling you to take your work anywhere, no matter how dim the light.
- Intuitive volume control
- New individual volume up, down, and mute buttons offer easier volume control.
- Powerful Intel Mobile Pentium III processor at 700 MHz with SpeedStep technology and 256 KB on-board L2 cache memory.
- Large, brilliant 15-in (1400 x 1050) active matrix TFT display with vibrant colors.
- 18.0 GB(4) hard disk drive (HDD)
- 128 MB(5) of 64-bit SDRAM memory, expandable up to 512 MB
US, Latin America, Canada, EMEA
- Mini-PCI modem with 56 K V.90 technology or modem--Ethernet combination, depending on model
- 6x-2x variable-speed DVD-ROM
- Thinner angled design at 38.1 mm (1.5-in) to 44.7 mm (1.79-in), 365 mm x 267.5 mm (14.6-in x 10.7-in), and lighter) at 7.2 lb (3.3 kg) in travel mode
- S-Video in and out ports for expanded multimedia
- UltraPort connector to mount optional UltraPort camera for various video applications
- Titanium composite material in top cover to protect display
- Desktop expansion with integrated, easy-loading modular Ultrabay 2000, ThinkPad Port Replicator, ThinkPad Dock, and PC Card slots all common with the new ThinkPad T20 Series
- ThinkPad Button, Access ThinkPad, and ThinkPad Assistant
- ThinkLight keyboard light
- Individual volume up, down, and mute buttons
- TrackPoint with Press-to-Select, Internet scroll, and magnifying glass features for accurate and convenient control
- User-installable mini-PCI options; modem only or modem-LAN combination
- Wireless LAN solution via optional IBM High Rate Wireless PC Card and optional IBM High Rate Wireless LAN Access Point
- RJ45 and RJ11 connectors standard on all systems
Latin America, Canada, EMEA
- Worldwide IBM service and support
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and optional travel bezel.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. In Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology MHz speed denotes maximum performance mode; battery optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 512 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
At a glance
The new ThinkPad A20p delivers leading edge technology and these benefits and features:
- Leadership design: fastest Intel processor; large 381-mm (15.0-in) display with 1400 x 1050 resolution; thinner lighter design; Titanium composite in top cover to protect the display; UltraPort connector
- High performance graphics and rich multimedia
- Innovative ease of use: ThinkPad Button, Access ThinkPad and ThinkPad Assistant; modular Ultrabay 2000; ThinkLight; volume control
- Optimized for connectivity: versatile mini-PCI communications bay; wireless ThinkPad; RJ45 and RJ11 connectors standard on all systems
- Award-winning IBM service and support: International Warranty Service; EasyServ door-to-door depot repair; IBM Universal Manageability solutions; IBM PC Lifecycle Care program.
Asian Pacific, Latin America, EMEA
- Award-winning IBM service and support: International Warranty Service; IBM Universal Manageability solutions; IBM PC Lifecycle Care program
- IBM SystemXtra support services and financing
ThinkPad A20p Features
This ThinkPad includes the largest and highest resolution active matrix TFT display of any ThinkPad to date with a large
381-mm (15.0-in.) screen. Resolutions are shown in the following table.
A20p (16 MB of 8 MB SGRAM)
External Monitor (CRT only)
640 x 480
800 x 600
1024 x 768
1280 x 1024
1400 x 1050
1600 x 1200
Keyboard and TrackPoint with Press-to-Select
Keyboard and TrackPoint with Press-to-Select: The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad with function keys that allows quick access to system functions, such as power management control. Use the TrackPoint with Press-to-Select to select objects by pressing the TrackPoint cap.
The system has a Mobile Pentium III processor at 700 MHz with SpeedStep technology and 256 KB full-speed onboard L2 cache.
Non-parity, 64-bit SDRAM SO DIMM memory. Standard memory of 128 MB is expandable to a maximum of 512 MB (dealer expandable, user expandable to 384 MB) with 64, 128, or 256 MB DIMMs. An internal slot is available for one extra memory module for customers who require a memory upgrade. The 128 MB card can be replaced by a qualified service representative with a 256 MB card and another 256 MB card added to the extra slot.
The Type III slot can accommodate two Type I or two Type II, or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported. Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port.
PC Card Support Software
The auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA cards by sensing them automatically.
(PCMCIA cards supported by the auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales Manual.)
Standard 18.0 GB; optional 6.0, 12.0, and 18.0 GB HDDs are also available. Two HDDs can be used concurrently to offer expanded storage. These S.M.A.R.T. HDDs issue an alert if a failure is pending.
Software MPEG-1 support on Windows 98 systems provides multimedia viewing without such hardware prerequisites as ZV port cards.
6x-2x variable-speed DVD-ROM
Excellent sound quality with two stereo speakers, 16-bit stereo audio supporting Sound Blaster Pro, built-in stereo speakers, microphone, and volume control
Three audio jacks
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for an external microphone
- One for line-in
- AGP2x with video acceleration provides exceptional video performance
- IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. ThinkPad A20p models are compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification with speeds up to 4 Mbps.
- Other features
- Enhanced parallel
- SVGA external display
- Pointer keyboard-keypad
- Universal serial bus (USB) ports
- Additional connector supports the optional Port Replicator.