|This document applies to 600X models 2645-5Fx, 8Px, and 9Fx.|
The latest ThinkPad 600X models feature Mobile Pentium(R) III processors | designed for better overall performance and lower power consumption.
The ThinkPad 600X has a slim 36.5-mm (1.4-in) profile(1) and travel configurations weighing less than 2.26 kg (4.99 lb)(2). The stylish ThinkPad 600X is ingeniously designed for the way you work.
Intel(R) Mobile Pentium(R) III processors at 500 and 650 MHz(3), depending on model. Models that have the Mobile Pentium processor at 650 MHz feature Intel SpeedStep(TM) technology for both maximum and battery-optimized performance.
Brilliant and bright display
- Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) 2X
- 256 KB on-board cache
- 100 MHz front-side system bus
- Large 12.0 GB(4) hard disk drive
- 64 MB SDRAM is standard, expandable to 576 MB(5)
- Integrated 56K V.90 modem(6)
- Video out port (TV out)(7) on all 5Fx and 9Fx models
- DVD 6x-2.3x(8) or CD-ROM drive, depending on model
- 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT with 1024 x 768 resolution
With the UltraslimBay, fast and easy warm swapping of most components gives you the flexibility to configure the system.
- Diskette drive (FDD)
- ThinkPad 600/570 Zip 100 MB UltraslimBay drive
- 24x-10x(8) CD-ROM
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Second battery (cold swap only)
- Second hard disk drive of different capacities
Robust system manageability
- Additional options include the IBM Portable Drive Bay.
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition, or Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, depending on model
- Easy access to information with Access ThinkPad
- Enhanced graphics enabling multiple monitor(9) support
- ThinkPad PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet(TM) feature (optional)
- Zip 100 MB drive (optional)
- Easy Internet connections with Netscape Communicator
- Three-year, limited warranty(10)
- HelpCenter(R) (800-426-7378)
Compliant with industry-standard Common Information Model (CIM)
Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaDock III, which requires the optional Selectabase 600.
Local and remote asset management and asset security via passwords and locks
Early detection of a hard drive failure
Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
(1) Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
(2) Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and travel bezel.
(3) MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. In Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology MHz speed denotes Maximum performance mode; Battery-optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
(4) GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
(5) Recognizes up to 576 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SODIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
(6) The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
(7) Video out port is not included on 8Px models.
(8) Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
(9) External device must support the same maximum resolution and refresh rate as that of the built-in notebook display. Available video memory may limit resolution and/or color depth. Individual application support for this feature will vary.
(10) See the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty for terms governing IBM support obligations. For a copy of the IBM Statement of Limited Warranty, customers can contact their authorized IBM Business Partner or IBM customer representative.
ThinkPad 600X features
- IBM, OS/2, ThinkPad, IBM Business Partner, and HelpCenter are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both.
- Ultrabay, TrackPoint, and OrderBUILDER are trademarks of International Business Machines in the United States or other countries or both.
- Intel and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
- SpeedStep is a trademark of Intel Corporation.
- Microsoft, Windows, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
- Other company, product and service names may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
Security and manageability
- Mobile Pentium(R) III processors at 500 and 650 MHz(3), depending on model. Models that have the Mobile Pentium processor at 650 MHz feature Intel SpeedStep(TM) technology with two performance modes.
- Maximum performance mode for top performance while connected to external power.
- Battery-optimized performance mode for balance between performance and battery life when operating on battery power. In this mode the MHz speed is reduced to approximately 80 percent of the maximum performance (MHz speed) with approximately 50 percent of the power consumption to conserve battery power.
- Supports Universal Manageability, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with and complement existing systems management products
- Complies with the industry-standard Common Information Model (CIM)
- Designed to the Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
- Wake on LAN support with the optional SelectaBase 600, ThinkPad PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet feature, or SelectaDock III and Wake on LAN network interface card
- Local and remote asset management, and early detection of hard drive failure via Universal Manageability Services(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
- Asset ID, an advanced radio-frequency-based tool, secures and protects assets, keeps accurate inventories, and facilitates fast deployment of your ThinkPad systems into the enterprise. (Asset ID, using the ThinkPad RF-ID antenna option, is available via special bid.
Some models include a DVD drive. DVD movie playback does not require complementary graphics hardware on ThinkPad 600X systems that have a DVD drive and Windows 98 installed.
The new ThinkPad 600X models come with a 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes - 600X(4 MB VRAM)
| ||External||Monitor || |
|Resolution ||85Hz ||75Hz ||70Hz ||60Hz |
|640 x 480||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|1024 x 768||16M||16M||16M||16M||16M|
Keyboard and TrackPoint with enhanced features
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control.
The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function.
Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and help reduce keystrokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
The ThinkPad 600X is euro hardware ready.
The system has 64MB of memory standard and can be configured for up to 576MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to 256MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, 2 two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus 2 adapters(8), PC card, and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
(8) Currently available in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 2000 Professional.
The customer-removable, upgradeable hard drive is 12GB standard. The ability to add an optional SuperDisk (LS120), Zip100 MB drive, or a second hard drive in the UltraslimBay provides expanded storage. The second hard drive option, requiring an adapter, can be used with all ThinkPad 600 models. The 1.44 MB diskette drive (FDD)
can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad 600X UltraslimBay or attached externally for added flexibility.
Full-duplex audio on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
Models with Windows 98 Second Edition support a system display and an external monitor simultaneously while different applications are on each screen. Move the cursor from one screen to the other and drag and drop items from the application on one screen to the application on the second screen.
The system has one fast IR transceiver (up to 4.2 Mbps) for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 600X is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1.
The ThinkPad 600X systems include these ports:
The USB port, which connects external drives and other devices, is supported by Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later. Video out port (TV out) is standard on all 5Fx and 9Fx models. The FDD external attachment port is standard on all 600X models.
- Enhanced parallel
- External display
- Line in
- USB port
The 240-pin connector supports these optional docking solutions:
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaDock III (requires the SelectaBase 600)
- Simple port replication and cable management with the SelectaBase 600
- Enhanced port replication when the PC Card Enabler is attached to SelectaBase 600 to provide two PC CardBus slots
- Exceptional flexibility and manageability via the SelectaBase 600 and SelectaDock III
- ThinkPad 600X and SelectaBase 600 are backwards compatible with the SelectaDock I and II