The latest ThinkPad 600X models feature Mobile Pentium(R) III processors designed for better performance and lower power consumption.
The ThinkPad 600X has a slim 36.5-mm (1.4-in) profile(1) and travel configurations weighing less than 2.26 kg (4.99 lb)(2). The stylish ThinkPad 600X is a truly perfect travel partner -- maximum power, minimum weight, ingeniously designed for the way you work.
Brilliant, bright display
- Mobile Pentium(R) III processor at 450 and 500 MHz(3)
- Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) 2X
- 256 KB on-board cache
- 100 MHz front-side system bus
- Large 6.0 GB(4) and 12.0 GB hard disk drives
- 64 MB(5) SDRAM is standard, expandable to 576 MB
- Integrated 56K V.90 modem(6)
- DVD 6X-2.3X or CD-ROM drive, depending on model
- Video out port (TV out) on all 5Ex and 9Ex models for viewing DVD movies on a TV screen(7)
337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT with 1024 x 768 resolution
With the UltraslimBay, fast and easy warm swapping gives you the flexibility to configure the system with the components you need.
- Diskette drive (FDD)
- ThinkPad 600/570 Zip 100 MB UltraslimBay drive
- 24x-10x(8) CD-ROM
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Second battery (cold swap only)
- Second hard disk drive of different capacities
Additional options include the IBM Portable Drive Bay.
Ease of use
Featuring online help, concise user's manuals, and intuitive keyboard icons, the ThinkPad 600X is one of the easiest ThinkPad products to start up and operate.
Robust System manageability
- Compliant with industry-standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaDock III
- Local and remote asset management and asset security via passwords and locks
- Early detection of a hard drive failure
- Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and travel bezel.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 576 MB of addressable memory in models with the Mobile Pentium III processor. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a K56Flex or V.90 compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Video out port is not included on 3Ex, 4Ex, 7Ex, or 8Ex models.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
At a glance
Performance and portability; ingeniously designed for the way you work
- New Mobile Pentium III processors at 450 and 500 MHz
- New 100 MHz front-side system bus with 100 MHz memory modules
- Sleek profile: 300 mm (11.8 in) x 240 mm (9.4 in) x 36.5 mm (1.4 in)
- Weight with travel bezel is approximately 2.25 kg (4.99 lb)
- Preinstalled Windows (R) 98 Second Edition or Windows (R) NT Workstation 4.0
- Easy access to information with Access ThinkPad
- Integrated V.90 modem
- Brilliant 337.8-mm (13.3-in) TFT display
- Enhanced graphics enabling multiple monitor(9) support
- 24x-10x CD-ROM or DVD 6X-2.3X, depending on model
- Optional IBM Portable Drive Bay to support multiple devices
- Optional ThinkPad SelectaBase PC Card Enabler with advanced EtherJet(TM) feature
- Optional Zip 100 MB drive
- Sleek black design, full-sized keys on the keyboard, and TrackPoint(TM) IV technology
- Easy Internet connections with IBM Global Network Dialer and Netscape Communicator
- Advanced system manageability
- Three-year, limited warranty
- IBM Support Center(R) (800-426-7378)
(9) External device must support the same maximum resolution and refresh rate as that of the built-in notebook display.
Superior Security and manageability
- Supports Universal Management, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with and complement existing system management products
- Complies with the industry-standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0
- Designed to the Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaBase 600, PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet feature, or SelectaDock III and Wake on LAN network interface card
- Local and remote asset management, and early detection of hard drive failure via the Universal Management Agent(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via IBM LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
- Virus protection and easy operating system recovery
- Asset ID, an advanced radio-frequency-based tool, secures and protects assets, keeps accurate inventories, and facilitates fast deployment of your ThinkPads into the enterprise. (Asset ID, using the ThinkPad RF-ID Antenna option, is available via special bid.)
Some models include a DVD drive. DVD movie playback does not require complementary graphics hardware on ThinkPad 600X systems that have a DVD drive and Windows 98 installed.
The new ThinkPad 600X models come with a 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes -- 600X (4 MB VRAM)
|LCD ||External ||Monitor |
|Resolution ||TFT ||85 Hz ||75 Hz ||70 Hz ||60 Hz |
|640 x 480||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|1024 x 768||16M||16M||16M||16M||16M|
|1280 x 1024||NA||NA||NA||NA||256|
Keyboard and TrackPoint with enhanced features
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control.
The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function. Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and help reduce keystrokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
Mobile Pentium III at 450 MHz or 500 MHz, depending on model, plus 256 KB of on-board cache, and floating-point decimal provide exceptional performance.
The system has 64 MB of memory standard and can be configured for up to 576 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs each can be added in the two available slots for memory expansion.
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters(8) PC card and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
(8) Currently available in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98
The customer-removable, installable hard drive is 6.0 GB or 12.0 GB, depending on model. The optional SuperDisk (LS120), Zip 100 MB drive, and the ability to add a second hard drive in the UltraslimBay provide an expanded choice of storage capability. The second hard drive option is backwards-compatible with all ThinkPad 600 models. The 1.44 MB diskette drive (FDD) comes standard and can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad 600X UltraslimBay or attached externally for added flexibility.
Full-duplex audio on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
Models with Windows 98 Second Edition support a system display and an external monitor simultaneously while different applications are on each screen. Move the cursor from one screen to the other and drag and drop items from the application on one screen to the application on the second screen.
The system has one fast (up to 4 Mbps) IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 600X is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1.
The ThinkPad 600X systems have the full complement of ports (enhanced parallel, serial, external display, FDD, microphone, line in, headphone, and USB port). The USB port, which connects external drives, is supported only by Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later. Video out port (TV out) is standard on all 5Ex and 9Ex models worldwide. The FDD external attachment port is standard on all 600X models. In addition, the 240-pin connector supports these docking solutions:
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaDock III via the SelectaBase 600
- Simple port replication and cable management with the SelectaBase 600
- Enhanced port replication when the PC Card Enabler is attached to SelectaBase 600 to provide two PC CardBus slots
- Desktop function and manageability via the SelectaBase 600 and SelectaDock III
- ThinkPad 600X and SelectaBase 600 are backwards compatible with the SelectaDock I and II