The ThinkPad i Series 1400 all-in-one notebook computer has near desktop power in a small, affordable package.
(US, AP, LA, CAN) The ThinkPad i Series 1400 features a powerful Intel(R) Mobile Celeron(TM) processor at 466 MHz (1), or a Celeron processor at 433 MHz or 400 MHz. All come with 128 KB onboard L2 cache. Each model comes with either 32 or 64 MB SDRAM (expandable to 256 MB(2)), a large 4.8 GB(3) or 6.4 GB hard disk drive, integrated 56 K V.90(4) modem, and high-speed 24x-10x(5) CD-ROM or 4x-1x(5) DVD-ROM drive. Large, bright 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT or a 330-mm (13.0-in) SVGA enhanced high performance addressing (HPA) display make this notebook computer a powerful productivity tool.
(EMEA) The ThinkPad i Series 1400 features a powerful Intel(R) Mobile Celeron(TM) processor at 433 MHz (1) or a Celeron processor at 400 MHz. All models come with 128 KB onboard L2 cache, either with 32 or 64 MB S DRAM (expandable to 256 MB(2)), a large 4.8 GB(3) GB hard disk drive, integrated 56 K V.90(4) modem, and high-speed 24x-10x(5) CD-ROM or 4x-1x(5) DVD-ROM drive. Large, bright 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT, 308-mm (12.1-in) SVGA TFT active matrix displays, or a 330-mm (13.0-in) SVGA enhanced high performance addressing (HPA) display make this notebook computer a powerful productivity tool.
(AP Variation) A 308-mm (12.1-in) SVGA TFT active matrix display is also offered with 128 KB onboard L2 cache, 64 MB memory, a 4.8 GB HDD, and a 24x-10x CD-ROM. For Japan models only, an 8.1 GB hard disk drive is offered.
Internet and ease of use innovations
The TrackPoint pointing device with the Internet Scroll Bar makes it easy to scroll Web pages and large documents. With the Press-to-Select feature, you press the TrackPoint pointer itself to select and launch
programs, helping to reduce keystrokes. Four color-coded Easy Launch Buttons take you to useful Web pages(6) co-designed by IBM and LYCOS or launch your favorite programs with the touch of a button.
The ThinkLight(TM) keyboard light on models with the 358-mm (14.1-in) displays illuminates the keyboard in dim light conditions.
Convenient all-in-one design
The ThinkPad i Series notebooks integrate diskette, CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, hard disk drive, and a 56 K V.90 modem in one convenient package.
DVD models have an S-video TV output port for easy connection to a television. Altec Lansing SoundGuide stereo speakers with Dynamic Equalization Circuit are designed exclusively for ThinkPad i Series for superb 3D sound. The Instant Audio feature with external CD controls lets you play music CDs even when the system is off and closed.
(US, Canada Only) Enjoy a one month trial (up to 100 hours) of Internet access from America Online(6) to get you up and running on the Web.
ThinkPad i Series notebooks come with Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition preloaded and a variety of software applications(8), including Lotus SmartSuite Millennium.
- MHz only measures internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- Optional SDRAM memory modules are available in 32 MB, 64 MB, and 128 MB sizes. 256 MB total memory can be achieved by replacing the 32 or 64 MB memory card that comes with the base system with a 128 MB in that slot and inserting another 128 MB card in the second slot.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk drives. Accessible capacity may vary.
- This V.90 modem can receive data up to 56 Kbps from a K56Flex or V.90 service provider, transmitting data up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
- Requires internet access account, available separately.
- Telephone line charges and surcharges may apply. Online service charges will apply after expiration of initial trial period.
- Some software may differ from its retail version (if available), and may not include user manuals or all program functions. For non-IBM software, applicable third party software licenses may apply.
At a glance
The ThinkPad i Series 1400 is an affordable, powerful notebook computer. Features include:
- (US, Canada, LA) Powerful Intel Mobile Celeron processors at 466 MHz, 433 Mhz, or 400 MHz, all with 128 KB onboard L2 cache
- (EMEA) Powerful Intel Mobile Celeron processors at 433 MHz or 400 MHz, both with 128 KB onboard L2 cache
- (AP, LA, CAN, EMEA) Active matrix display; large 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT, 330-mm (13.0-in) SVGA HPA, or 308-mm (12.1-inch) SVGA TFT
- (US) Active matrix display; large 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT and 330-mm (13.0-in) SVGA HPA
- (US, AP, LA, CAN) All-in-one, high-capacity 6.4 GB or 4.8 GB HDD, diskette drive, and 4x-1x DVD-ROM or 24x-10x CD-ROM
- (EMEA) All-in-one, high-capacity 4.8 GB HDD, diskette drive, and 4x-1x DVD-ROM or 24x-10x CD-ROM
- Integrated 56 K V.90 modem
- 64 MB or 32 MB of 64-bit SDRAM memory standard (can be upgraded up to 256 MB)
- TrackPoint with Internet scroll bar for Web-surfing speed
- Four color-coded Easy Launch Buttons for accessing the Internet
- Audio CD can play for hours with system off and cover closed
- DVD playback can be controlled by front mounted media center buttons.
- Altec Lansing SoundGuide Stereo speakers for rich, full sound
- Keyboard light on 358-mm (14.1-in) models for dim environments
- Ergonomic wrist-rest keyboard and TrackPoint technology for premier ease of use
- Universal serial bus (USB) port
- Windows 98 Second Edition and selected applications preinstalled
ThinkPad i Series 1400 Features
(AP, EMEA) The 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT or 308-mm (12.1-in) SVGA TFT display or 330-mm (13.0) enhanced high performance addressing (HPA) displays provide brilliant viewing and crystal clear colors.
(US, LA, CAN) The 358-mm (14.1-in) XGA TFT or 330-mm (13.0) enhanced high performance addressing (HPA) displays provide brilliant viewing and crystal clear colors.
Video Modes - i Series 1400 4.0 MB VRAM
|Resolution ||LCD ||CDT - 85 Hz ||CRT - 75 Hz ||CDT - 60 Hz |
|640 x 480||16M||16M||16M||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M||16M||16M|
|1024 x 768||16M||16M||16M||16M|
14 inch only
|1280 x 1024||N/A||16M||16M||16M|
|1600 x 1200||N/A||64K||64K||64K|
Keyboard and Trackpoint
Ergonomically designed for comfort, the ThinkPad i Series 1400 features a full-sized 85-key keyboard with a roomy sculpted palm rest. The TrackPoint with Press-to-Select provides accurate and convenient pointer and cursor control; pressing the TrackPoint speeds program launches and helps you to reduce keystrokes. The Internet scroll bar liberates users from the stationary scroll bar at the side of the window and allows for quick Web page scrolling. It even works on documents and spreadsheets. The TrackLight comes on the models with 358-mm (14.1-in) displays and facilitates viewing in dim light situations.
(US, AP, LA, CAN) The system features your choice of an Intel Mobile Celeron processor at 466 MHz, 433 MHz, or 400 MHz, all with 128 onboard L2 cache.
(EMEA) The system features your choice of Intel Mobile Celeron processor at 433 MHz with 128 KB onboard L2 cache or a Celeron processor at 400 MHz with 128 onboard L2 cache.
The ThinkPad i Series 1400 uses non-parity, 64-bit SDRAM memory. Standard memory is 32 MB or 64 MB, expandable to a maximum of 256 MB.
The Type III slot can accommodate either one Type I, one Type II, or one Type III PC card. CardBus PC Card or Zoomed Video Port PC Card (only upper slot) are supported.
(US, AP, LA, CAN) All-in-one design provides quick and easy access to data. This system includes a 4.8 GB or 6.4 GB HDD, a 1.44 MB diskette drive, and a 24x-10x variable-speed CD-ROM or a 4x-1x DVD-ROM, depending on model.
(AP) One Japan model has an 8.1 GB hard disk drive.
(EMEA) All-in-one design provides quick and easy access to data. This system includes a 4.8 GB HDD, a 1.44 MB diskette drive, and a 24x-10x variable-speed CD-ROM or a 4x-1x DVD-ROM, depending on model.
The audio subsystem is enhanced with 16-bit stereo audio that is Sound Blaster-Pro-compatible. It features built-in stereo speakers and a fast CD-ROM. Altec Lansing SoundGuide speakers are located on the bottom of the display to direct sound right at the user and provide maximum stereo separation. Along with the Dynamic Equalization Circuit, which uses proprietary bass boost and signal equalization techniques, the i Series 1400 produces sound with outstanding clarity.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Port
These systems have the full complement of ports (enhanced parallel, serial, external display, and USB port). The USB port, which connects external drives, is available for use with Windows 98 only.
3D and DVD acceleration and MPEG-2 decoding with 2X Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) bus with an ATI Rage Mobility M graphics controller with 4 MB video memory.
Using the 56 K V.90 integrated modem, allows connectivity to the internet.
-- Easy Launch Buttons take you to
- Easy internet access and connectivity
- Four color-coded, customizable Easy Launch Buttons for easy access to internet sites(1) specifically designed for the mobile PC user or customize the buttons to launch your favorite Web sites or software applications.
- Web sites co-designed by IBM and Lycos(R) specifically for ThinkPad i Series owners to help you save time and be more productive on the internet
- Home site - your personalized window to the internet including helpful hints to get the most out of your ThinkPad i Series notebook
- Search site - advanced search capabilities to find the information you need quickly
- Consumer site - consumer's guide to shopping the internet with informative tips for more productive internet shopping experience
- Messaging site - free e-mail that can be accessed from anywhere on the Web
- System is enabled to accept optional color covers in a variety of colors to personalize to user's taste and style. Color covers are attached by four screw holes on the top system LCD cover, for easy installation by user. They should be installed following the package instructions. If service to the system is needed, remove the color covers prior to shipment. Failure to follow these instructions could result in damage to the color covers or the system which then may not be covered under warranty.
- Music CD plays up to six hours with the system off and features exterior controls so you can play CDs with the top closed (2)
- Optional selection of covers suit your individual preference.
(EMEA) For more information or to order a color cover, see your local reseller/retailer.
Note (1): Requires internet access account, available separately.
Note (2): Run time may vary based on many factors, including remaining battery life.