|This document only applies to the 4Bx, 5Bx, 8Bx, DAx, DBx, and BAU models of the ThinkPad 600E family.|
New models of the ThinkPad 600E offer the same great design, ease of use, and reliability that distinguished the first ThinkPad 600 systems.
With its slim 36.5-mm (1.4-in) profile(1) and travel configurations weighing less than 2.29 kg (5.04 lb)(2), the stylish ThinkPad 600E is a truly perfect travel partner -- maximum power, minimum weight, ingeniously designed for the way you work.
Latest Intel Technology
Models feature the latest Mobile Pentium(R) II processor at 400 MHz(3).
- Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP)
- 256 KB on-board cache
- Large 10.0 GB (4) hard disk drive
- 64 MB(5) SDRAM
- The AAP models come standard with 32 MB of SDRAM (US)
- Integrated 56K V.90 modem(6)
- DVD or CD-ROM drive, depending on model
- Video out port (TV out) is standard on all 5Bx models worldwide and AAP model BAU
Brilliant, Bright Display
337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT with 1024 x 768 resolution
With the UltraslimBay(TM), fast and easy warm swapping gives you the flexibility to configure the system with the components you need.
- Diskette drive (FDD)
- 24x-10x CD-ROM(7)
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Second battery (cold swap only)
- Second hard disk drive of different capacities
Ease of Use
Featuring online help, concise user's manuals, and intuitive icons on the keyboard, the ThinkPad 600E is one of IBM's easiest ThinkPad products to start up and operate.
Robust System Manageability
- Compliant with industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaDock III
- Local and remote asset management and asset security via passwords and locks
- Early detection of a hard drive failure
- Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
(1) Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
(2) Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, or manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery and travel covers.
(3) MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
(4) GB equals one billion bytes and MB equals one million bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
(5) Recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory in the models with the Mobile Pentium II processor. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the maximum memory of 288 MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots in models with 64 MB standard must be discarded.
(6) The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a x2 or V.90 compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
(7) Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
ThinkPad 600E Features
Superior Security and Manageability
- Asset ID, an advanced radio-frequency based tool, secures and protects assets, keeps accurate inventories, and facilitates fast deployment of your ThinkPads into the enterprise. (Asset ID, using the ThinkPad RF-ID Antenna option, is available only on select AAP models.) (US)
- Supports Universal Management, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with, and complement, existing system management products
- Complies with the industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0
- Designed to the Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaBase 600, PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet feature, or SelectaDock III and Wake on LAN network interface card
- Local and remote asset management, and early detection of hard drive failure via the Universal Management Agent(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via IBM LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
- Virus protection and easy operating system recovery
Some models include a DVD drive. DVD movie playback does not require complementary graphics hardware on ThinkPad 600E systems that have a DVD drive and Windows 98 installed. All ThinkPad 600E models with Windows 98 preinstalled can be upgraded to this level of multimedia support with the optional DVD drive.
The new ThinkPad 600E models come with a 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes -- 600E (2.5 MB VRAM)
| ||LCD ||External ||Monitor |
|Resolution ||TFT ||85 Hz ||75 Hz ||70 Hz ||60 Hz |
|640 x 480 ||16M ||16M ||16M ||NA ||16M |
|800 x 600 ||16M ||16M ||16M ||NA ||16M |
|1024 x 768 ||16M ||16M ||16M ||16M ||16M |
|1280 x 1024 ||NA ||NA ||NA ||NA ||256 |
Keyboard and Trackpoint with Enhanced Features
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control.
The ThinkPad 600E is euro hardware ready. (EMEA)
The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function of the TrackPoint.
Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and help reduce key-strokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents or fast panning across wide spreadsheets.
Switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
Mobile Pentium II at 400 MHz plus 256 KB of on-board cache, and floating-point decimal provide exceptional performance.
The system has 64 MB of memory standard, and recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the 2 maximum memory of 288 MB in models with 64 MB standard, the 32 MB SO 2 DIMM in one of the slots must be discarded.
AAP model comes standard with 32 MB of SDRAM. (US)
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters(8) PC card and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
(8) Currently available in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98
The customer-removable, installable hard drive is 10.0 GB standard. The optional SuperDisk (LS120), Zip 100 MB drive, and the ability to add a second hard drive in the UltraslimBay provide an expanded choice of storage capability. The second hard drive option is backwards compatible with all ThinkPad 600 models. The 1.44 MB diskette drive (FDD) comes standard and can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad 600E UltraslimBay(R) or attached externally for added flexibility.
Full-duplex audio on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
Models with Windows 98 support a system display and an external monitor simultaneously while different applications are on each screen. Move the cursor from one screen to the other and drag and drop items from the application on one screen to the application on the second screen.
The system has one fast (up to 4.0 Mbps) IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 600E is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1 (up to 4 Mbps).
The ThinkPad 600E systems have the full complement of ports (enhanced parallel, serial, external display, and USB port). The USB port, which connects external drives, is supported only by Windows 98 or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later. Video out port (TV out) is standard on all 5Bx models worldwide and AAP model BAU. The FDD external attachment port is standard on all 600E models. In addition, the 240-pin connector supports these docking solutions:
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaDock III via the SelectaBase 600
- Simple port replication and cable management with the SelectaBase 600
- Enhanced port replication when the PC Card Enabler is attached to
- SelectaBase 600 to provide two PC CardBus slots
- Desktop function and manageability via the SelectaBase 600 and SelectaDock III
- ThinkPad 600E and SelectaBase 600 are backward compatible with the SelectaDock I and II