The ThinkPad X22 and X23 notebook computer is the optimal notebook for portability and function. This thin and light powerhouse computer features the 308-mm (12.1 inch) TFT display and an impressive selection of options including memory, port replication, and docking.
The ThinkPad X22 and X23 notebook computer starts at 1.56 kg (3.4 lbs) and is about 25.4 mm (1.0 in) thin. Its dimensions are 279.4 x 226.8 mm (11 x 8.9 in). The new titanium composite cover protects your investment.
All ThinkPad X22 and X23 models come with an UltraPort connector on the edge of the top panel. This new innovative port supports an optional digital camera.
- Featuring the Intel Mobile Pentium III processor at 733MHz, 800MHz, or 866MHz with Intel SpeedStep technology for both maximum and battery-optimized performance.
- Integrated 802.11b wireless antenna and mini PCI card on select models
- New security chip available on select models
- Accelerated graphics port (AGP) 2x for ThinkPad X22 models and 4x for ThinkPad X23 models
- 512 KB L2 onboard cache
- 133 MHz front-side system bus
- Choice of 10, 15, 20, or 30 GB HDD
- Standard 128 MB memory, expandable with SDRAM modules to a maximum
- Variety of network connections:
- Integrated 56K V.90 modem (V.92 capable)
- 56K V.90 modem and Ethernet
- 56K V.90 modem/802.11 b wireless and Ethernet
- Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology
- Built-in RJ11 and RJ45 connectors for telephony and LAN connection
- Brilliant, bright 308-mm (12.1 inch) XGA TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution or 308-mm (12.1 inch) SVGA TFT display with 800 x 600 resolution
- Four or six-cell Li-Ion battery, depending on model
Ease of use
- ThinkLight(TM) easy to see your keyboard in low-light conditions during presentations or on a plane.
- InfraRed port for wireless data transfer or synchronization with a personal digital assistant (PDA) or cell phone.
- ThinkPad button is one-button access to online information you need.
NOTE: Requires Internet access, available separately.
Robust system manageability
Supports Universal Manageability (UM) Services, a set of management tools that enhances existing systems and products.
Optimized flexibility optional features
Using the optional UltraBase X2 with the UltraBay 2000, fast and easy hot-and warm-swapping of most components gives you the flexibility to configure the system.
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
New business software models
Select models have included Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business software preinstalled.
- Thickness may vary at certain points on the system.
- Actual weight may vary depending on vendor components, manufacturing process, or options. Weight includes battery.
- Titanium Composite Fiber Reinforced Plastic has three times the strength as ABS plastic as tested using High Flex Modulus Test on February 28, 2000.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance. For Intel Mobile Pentium III processors with SpeedStep technology, MHz speed denotes maximum performance mode; battery-optimized performance mode is approximately 80% of maximum performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
- Recognizes up to 640 MB of addressable memory. Memory options up to 256 MB SDRAM SO DIMM can be added for maximum memory expansion.
- The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Requires download of V.92 microcode, when available, and country approval.
ThinkPad X22 and X23 features
Latest processor technology
- Intel Mobile Pentium III processor at 800MHz or 733MHz featuring Intel SpeedStep technology or Intel Mobile Pentium III-M processor at 800MHz or 866MHz featuring Intel SpeedStep technology with two performance modes:
- Maximum performance mode for top performance while connected to external power.
- Battery optimized performance mode for the best balance between performance and battery life when operating on the battery. In this mode the MHz speed is reduced
- The system has 128 MB of memory standard. The ThinkPad X22 and X23 notebook is also designed to recognize up to 640 MB of addressable memory. Memory options allow memory expansion up to 640 MB by adding SDRAM SO DIMM cards the slots available for memory expansion.
- PCI bus supports 64-bit transfers for faster performance
- A 30.0GB, 20.0GB, or 10.0GB hard disk drive (HDD) is standard on most models. Some geographies also have 15 or 30 GB HDDs standard.
- Optional hard disk drives are available.
LCD TFT display
The new ThinkPad X22 and X23 models come with a 308-mm (12.1 inch) XGA TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes -- X22 and X23 (8M SGRAM)
|640 x 480|
|800 x 600|
|1024 x 768|
|1280 x 1024|
|1600 x 1200|
*1 Supported in panning mode.
*2 The approximate value when using only an external monitor. When the LCD and external monitor modes are used at the
same time, refresh rate, resolution, or color depth may be lower.
Keyboard and TrackPoint with enhanced features
The system is Euro hardware ready. The TrackPoint with enhanced features is a part of this keyboard:
- 85 key keyboard with imbedded numeric keypad and integrated TrackPoint(TM) with enhanced features, which emulates all the mouse functions. It sits between the "G" and "H" keys.
- 86 key keyboard with imbedded numeric keypad and integrated TrackPoint(TM) with enhanced features.
- 90 DBCS key keyboard with imbedded numeric keypad and integrated TrackPoint(TM) with enhanced features for Japanese systems.
- The keyboard has a "Fn key" which is a special key and is located in the lower left corner. The Fn key allows the user to instantly activate the following operational features by pressing the Fn key and a designated function key:
- Battery power status display
- Switching between Display devices
- Power management mode
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions such as power management control.
The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function. Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and help reduce key strokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
- Two Universal Serial Bus (USB) ports. The USB ports are supported by Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, Windows 95 OSR2.1 or later, Windows 2000, and Windows XP Pro
- Stereo audio jacks -- Provides for the connection of external stereo speakers/headphones and microphone and can provide SRS 3D sound.
- External Display Connector -- External display port for connecting one of the supported displays that may be used in desktop environment instead of the LCD that is standard with the system. Also supporting an attachment of ISO 9241-3 enabled monitors. Dual Display of LCD and an external display is also supported.
- PC CARD slots -- The ThinkPad X22 and X23 system, conforms to the PC Card Standard which incorporates the new CardBus PC Card as well as Card and Socket Services Specification release 2.1. Other PC CARD adapters that comply with this standard may also function, but have not been tested.
NOTE: Presently available in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 2000, and Windows XP Pro.
- System Expansion Connector -- Provides connection to the ThinkPad Docking Solutions:
- ThinkPad Port Replicator
- ThinkPad Dock
The AC adapter is an alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) converter to supply the necessary power to the computer. The AC adapter also charges the battery pack when it is installed in the computer.
NOTE: Standard battery shipped with these systems Li-Ion battery pack.
- A Li-Ion Battery Pack is shipped with the system. This same battery is also available as an optional feature for the X22 and X23 so that customers can order a spare battery.
- The battery pack is an internal power source to the computer when the AC adapter is not available. The battery pack is rechargeable and is charged using the AC adapter with the system.
- The user can determine how much battery power remains by using the Fuel-Guage ThinkPad utility program. This displays the percent charge remaining, whether there is one or two batteries in the system.
PC Cards which do not support the power management function may cause the shorter battery operation hours.
Superior security and manageability
- Designed to the Wired for Management 2.0 and PXE 2.0 requirements for mobile systems
- Supports Universal Manageability (UM) Services, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with and complement existing systems management products
- Complies with the industry-standard Common Information Model
- Designed to the Wired for Management 2.0 and PXE 2.0 requirements for mobile systems
- Local and remote asset management and early detection of hard drive failure via UM Services(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks with a new embedded security chip (on select systems) for secure communications and local data protection via encryption
Microsoft Office 2000 small business software
Selected models include this powerful office tool for small enterprises.
- The PC card slot accommodates either one Type I or one Type II. The Compact Flash slot accommodates one Type II.
The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
The ThinkPad X22 and X23 systems include these ports:
- External display
- Integrated 802.11b wireless antenna (selected systems)
- Mini PCI card 802.11b 56K V.90 modem (wireless models)
- Infrared port
- Two USB
- RJ11 and RJ45
- Docking/UltraBase X2
NOTE: The USB and UltraPort, which connect external drives and other devices, are supported with Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 98 Second Edition, or later.
The 240-pin connector supports these optional docking solutions:
- Simple port replication and cable management with the ThinkPad Port Replicator that offers quick access to desktop resources such as printer, external monitor, USB devices, WorkPad PC companion cradle, and more
- More advanced docking solution with the ThinkPad Dock:
- Same cable management features as the ThinkPad Port Replicator
- Expansion capability with Ultrabay 2000, a half-size PCI card slot, two PC card slots, and two USB ports