The ThinkPad 390, the new family of easy-to-use all-in-one business notebooks, represents an amazing level of technology at an affordable price. Its functionality, connectivity, expandability, and attractive price make it the ideal mobile solution for small and medium businesses and large, budget-conscious enterprises.
- Integrated diskette drive (FDD)
- 24x-10x variable-speed CD-ROM(1)
- Hard disk drive (HDD)(2)
- Preloaded software
- Easy-to-use desktop alternative
- New, powerful Intel(R) Mobile Pentium II(R) processors at 266 MHz(4) or 233 MHz(4), depending on model, or Pentium 233 MHz(4) with MMX technology and 512 KB of level 2 cache memory
- Large, brilliant 14.1-inch or 12.1-inch (measured diagonally) Active Matrix TFT(3) display with vibrant colors, depending on model
- 64 MB or 32 MB of 64-bit SDRAM memory expandable up to 256 MB
- 4.3 GB or 3.2 GB(5) HDD, expandable with optional 6.4 GB HDD
- Modem with 56 Kbps(6) technology (for US, AP, LA, and CAN only)
- Industry standard manageability and Desktop Management Interface (DMI) compliance
- Remote system manageability with Wake on LAN support via the optional Port Replicator with Advanced EtherJet feature
- Wired for Management compliance
- Asset security via passwords and locks
- User upgradeable HDD and memory
- TrackPoint with Press-to-Select for accurate and convenient control
- Additional optional functions via UltraBay FX and PC Card slots. With the UltraBay FX, a second battery can be added for up to 8 hours of operation or a second HDD for up to 10.7 GB of storage.
- Excellent stereo audio
- Fast CD-ROM
Windows 98 is installed along with a variety of selected applications.
All models include the time-proven Lotus(R) SmartSuite to enable immediate productivity gains through its word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. Printed documentation is available for an extra charge.
- Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
- An optional 6.4 GB HDD is available.
- Thin film transistor (TFT) is the technology of the display.
- MHz measures only processor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes and MB equals one million bytes when referring to hard disk drives. Capacity available for end users may be less.
- The modems are designed to be capable of receiving data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider, and transmitting data at up 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible (for US, AP, LA, and CAN only).
- IBM, ThinkPad, and TrackPoint are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries, or both.
- Intel, Pentium II and MMX are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
- Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
NOTE: Lotus(R) and SmartSuite(R) are Trademarks of Lotus Development Corporation. Other company, product and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
THINKPAD 390 FEATURES
14.1-inch with 1024 x 768 resolution or 12.1-inch with 800 x 600 resolution (measured diagonally) Active Matrix TFT display, depending on model, that provides excellent viewing capability.
Video Modes -- 390 (2.5 MB VRAM)
LCD External Monitor
Resolution TFT 85 Hz 75 Hz 60 Hz
----------- ------ ------ ------ ------
640 x 480 16M 16M 16M 16M
800 x 600 16M 16M 16M 16M
1024 x 768 16M 16M 16M 16M
1280 x 1024 --- --- --- 256
KEYBOARD AND TRACKPOINT WITH PRESS-TO-SELECT:
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad with function key capability that allows you to quickly access system functions, such as power management control. Use the TrackPoint with Press-to-Select to select objects by pressing the TrackPoint cap.
Powerful Mobile Pentium II processors at 266 MHz or 233 MHz, depending on model, or Pentium 233 MHz with MMX and 512 KB of level 2 cache memory
Non-parity, 64-bit of SDRAM SO DIMM memory. Standard memory of 64 MB or 32 MB, depending on model, is customer upgradeable to a maximum of 256 MB with 32 MB, 64 MB or 128MB cards. An internal slot is available for one extra memory module for customers who require a memory upgrade.
The Type III slot can accommodate either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported. Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port.
PC CARD SUPPORT SOFTWARE:
The auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA cards by sensing them automatically. (PCMCIA cards supported by the auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales Manual.)
The standard 4.3 or 3.2 GB HDD can be expanded optionally with 6.4 GB. These S.M.A.R.T. HDDs issue an alert if a failure is pending. The three-spindle design of the 1.44 MB FDD allows all the drive units, including the FDD, to be contained inside the ThinkPad 390 covers.
Software MPEG 1 support on Windows 98 systems provides multimedia viewing without such hardware prerequisites as ZV port cards. MPEG 1 decoders facilitate educational use for activities such as movies, teleconferencing, and games.
- Excellent sound quality with two stereo speakers, 16-bit stereo audio supporting Sound Blaster Pro
- Built-in stereo speakers and microphone
- Three audio jacks:
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for an external microphone
- One for line-in
- Volume control
PCI bus support with video acceleration provides exceptional video performance.
IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 390 models are compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification with speeds up to 4 Mbps.
Preinstalled software provides wireless file transfer, file synchronization, and clipboard data transfer. With the IR feature, data can be exchanged with any system, accessories, or personal digital assistants (PDA) supporting the same specifications and data transfer speed. The IR feature may require the separate purchase of the appropriate hardware.
Enhanced parallel, SVGA (external display), pointer-keyboard-keypad, serial, and universal serial bus (USB) ports. An additional connector supports the Port Replicator with advanced EtherJet.