The thin and powerful ThinkPad 600E notebook is a new breed of innovatively designed, reliable, easy-to-use IBM mobile computers that translate form and function to new levels of sophistication.
With its slim 36.5-mm (1.4-in) profile, and travel configurations weighing less than 2.26 kg (5 lb)(1), the stylish ThinkPad 600E is a truly perfect travel partner -- maximum power, minimum weight, ingeniously designed for the way you work.
Latest Intel Technology
Models feature the latest Mobile Pentium(R) II processor at 300 MHz, plus:
- 512 KB L2 cache
- Large 6.4 GB (3) HDD
- 64 MB(4) SDRAM (32 MB configured in a DIMM slot)
- Programmable advanced communications processor with internal modem with 56 Kbps(5) technology
- DVD drive
Brilliant, bright display
337.8-mm (13.3 in) (measured diagonally) TFT with 1024 x 768 resolution
With the UltaslimBay(TM), fast and easy warm swapping gives you the flexibility to configure the system with the components you need. Options include:
Improvements in ease of use
- Diskette drive (FDD)
- 24x-10x CD-ROM(6)
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Second battery (cold swap only)
- Second hard disk drive
Featuring improved online help, more concise user's manuals, and more intuitive icons on the keyboard, the ThinkPad 600E is IBM's easiest ThinkPad to start up and operate.
Robust system manageability
- Enhanced graphics
- Compliant with industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaDock III
- Thermal monitoring
- Local and remote asset management and asset security via passwords and locks
- Early detection of a hard drive failure
- Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
- Actual weight may vary depending on features, vendor components, or manufacturing process. Weight does not include external diskette drive or DVD drive. Weight includes battery and weight saver bezel.
- MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
- GB equals one billion bytes and MB equals one million bytes when referring to hard disk. Capacity available for end-user may be less.
- Recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory in the models with the new Mobile Pentium II processor. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the maximum memory of 288MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots must be discarded.
- The modems can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 33.6 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
- Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
At a glance
The ThinkPad 600E, a new breed of notebook: Thin and powerful, ingeniously designed for the way you work.
Great new features and options
ThinkPad 600E features
- Sleek profile: 300 mm (11.8 in) x 240 mm (9.4 in) x 36.5 mm (1.4 in)
- Weight with travel bezel,less than 2.2 kg (5 lb)
- Preinstalled Windows (R) 98
- Brilliant 337.8-mm (13.3-in) TFT display
- Optional ThinkPad SelectaBase PC Card Enabler with advanced EtherJet feature
- UltraslimBay options:
- Second hard disk drive
- Second battery
- SuperDisk (LS120)
- Premier ease of use with sleek black design, full-sized keyboard, and TrackPoint IV technology
- Easy Internet connections with preinstalled Global Network Dialer and Netscape Navigator
- Advanced system manageability:
- Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
- Wake on LAN (via SelectaDock III)
- Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, OS/2 Warp Version 4, PC DOS 2000, and MS-DOS 6.22
- Supports Universal Management, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with, and complement, existing system management products
- Complies with the industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI 2.0)
- Designed to the Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaBase 600, PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet feature, or SelectaDock III and Wake on LAN network interface card
- Local and remote asset management, thermal monitoring and early detection of hard drive failure via the Universal Management Agent(TM)
- Remote setup and low level maintenance via IBM LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
- Virus protection and easy operating system recovery
The new ThinkPad 600E model comes with a 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes -- 600E (2.5 MB VRAM)
|Resolution||TFT||85 Hz||75 Hz||70 Hz||60 Hz|
|640 X 480||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|1024 x 768||16M||16M||16M||16M||16M|
|1280 x 1024||NA||NA||NA||NA||256|
Keyboard and Trackpoint with enhanced features
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with a function key capability that allows you to quickly access system functions, such as power management control.
The ThinkPad 600E provides Euro Currency support (for EMEA models only).
The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the "Press-to-Select" and "Release-to-Select" function of the TrackPoint.
Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents, or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Or switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
Mobile Pentium II at 300 MHz with AGP plus 512 KB of L2 cache, and floating-point decimal, providing exceptional performance.
The system has 64 MB of memory standard and recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory in models with the new Mobile Pentium II processor. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the maximum memory of 288 MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots must be discarded.
The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters(6) PC card and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
Currently available in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98
The customer removable, installable hard drive is 6.4 GB standard. The optional SuperDisk (LS120) and the ability to add a second hard drive in the UltrasimBay provide an expanded choice of storage capability. The 1.44 MB diskette drive (FDD) comes standard and can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad 600E UltraslimBay(R) or attached externally for added flexibility.
The full duplex audio capability on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio capability. The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone. The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
The system has one fast (up to 4.0 Mbps) IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 600E is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1 (up to 4 Mbps).
The ThinkPad 600E systems have the full complement of ports (enhanced parallel, serial, external display, and USB port). The USB port is used to connect external drives and is only supported by Windows 98 or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later. The FDD external attachment port is standard on all 600E models. In addition, the 240-pin connector supports these docking solutions:
Docking solution details
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaDock III via the SelectaBase 600
- Simple port replication and cable management with the SelectaBase 600
- Enhanced port replication capability when the PC Card Enabler is attached to SelectaBase 600 to provide two PC CardBus slots
- Desktop functionality and manageability via the SelectaBase 600E and SelectaDock III
- ThinkPad 600E and SelectaBase 600 are backward compatible with the SelectaDock I and SelectaDock II