The high-technology ThinkPad 390E business notebook computer is enhanced to deliver increased storage capacity and speed. The combination of
function, connectivity, and expandability at a very attractive price makes this a wise mobile solution for small and medium businesses as well as large, budget-conscious enterprises.
- Integrated diskette drive (FDD)
- 24x-10x(1) variable-speed CD-ROM
- Hard disk drive (HDD)(2)
- Preloaded software
- Easy-to-use desktop alternative
- New, powerful Intel(R) Mobile Pentium II processors at 333 MHz(3) or 300PE MHz and Mobile Celeron(TM) processor at 300 MHz, both with onboard L2 cache (4) memory
- Large, brilliant 358-mm (14.1-in), 338-mm (13.3-in), or 308-mm (12.1-in) active matrix TFT(5) display with vibrant colors
- 64 MB or 32 MB of 64-bit SDRAM memory, expandable up to 256 MB
- 6.4 GB(6), 4.3 GB, or 3.2 GB HDD, expandable or replaceable with optional 6.4 GB or 10.0 GB HDD
- Modem with 56 K(7) V.90 technology (US, LA, CAN, EMEA only)
- Industry standard manageability and Desktop Management Interface (DMI) compliance
- Remote system manageability with Wake on LAN support via the optional Port Replicator with Advanced EtherJet(TM) feature
- Wired for Management compliance
- Asset security via passwords and locks
- User expandable HDD and memory
- TrackPoint(R) with Press-to-Select, Internet Scroll, and Magnifying Glass features for accurate and convenient control
- Additional optional functions via Ultrabay FX and PC Card slots, with the Ultrabay FX, a second battery can be added for up to eight hours of operation, or a second HDD for more than 10.0 GB of storage
- Excellent stereo audio
- Fast CD-ROM
- Universal serial bus (USB) port
- Optional Port Replicator with Advanced EtherJet feature allows Wake on LAN support
- Windows 98 is installed along with a variety of selected applications.
- One model is available with Windows NT.
- Windows 95 is available in Japan.
- All models come with the time-proven Lotus(R) SmartSuite for quick productivity, using a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. Printed documentation for this software is available for an extra charge.
1. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
2. An optional 10.0 GB HDD is available.
3. MHz measures only processor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
4. Pentium II processors have 256 KB onboard L2 cache; the Celeron processor has 128 KB onboard L2 cache.
5. Thin film transistor (TFT) is the technology of the display.
6. GB equals one billion bytes and MB equals one million bytes when referring to hard disk drives. Capacity available for end users may be less.
7. The V.90 modems are designed to be capable of receiving data at up to 56 Kbps from a K56Flex or V.90 service provider, and transmitting data at up 31.2 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible. (for US, LA, CAN, EMEA only)
- IBM, ThinkPad, and TrackPoint are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries, or both.
- Intel, Pentium II and Celeron are trademarks or registered trade marks of Intel Corporation.
- Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
NOTE: Lotus(R) and SmartSuite(R) are Trademarks of Lotus Development Corporation. Other company, product and service names may be trademarks or service marks of others.
THINKPAD 390E FEATURES
XGA 14.1-inch or 13.3-inch with 1024 x 768 resolution or SVGA 12.1-inch with 800 x 600 resolution active matrix TFT display, depending on model, that provides excellent viewing capability.
Video Modes -- 390E (2.5 MB VRAM)
|Resolution||TFT||85 Hz||75 Hz||60 Hz|
|640 x 480||16M||16M||16M||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M ||16M ||16M |
|1024 x 768||16M||16M ||16M ||16M|
|1280 x 1024||-||-||-||256|
KEYBOARD AND TRACKPOINT WITH PRESS-TO-SELECT:
The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions, such as power management control.
Use the TrackPoint with Press-to-Select to select objects by pressing the TrackPoint cap.
The ThinkPad 390E has powerful new processors with new technology L2 cache. The Intel Mobile Pentium II processors at 333 MHz or 300PE MHz have 256 KB full-speed onboard L2 cache. The Intel Mobile Celeron processor at 300 MHz has 128 KB full-speed onboard L2 cache. Onboard means it is not in the memory card but back with the chip. This eliminates the local bus and results in better performance.
Non-parity, 64-bit of SDRAM SO DIMM memory. Standard memory of 64 MB or 32 MB, depending on model, is expandable to a maximum of 256 MB with 32 MB, 64 MB, or 128 MB cards. An internal slot is available for one extra memory module for customers who require a memory upgrade.
The Type III slot can accommodate either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported. Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port.
PC CARD SUPPORT SOFTWARE:
The auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA cards by sensing them automatically. (PCMCIA cards supported by the auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales Manual.)
The standard 6.4 GB, 4.3 GB, or 3.2 GB HDD can be expanded optionally with a 10.0 GB HDD. An optional 6.4 GB HDD is also available. These S.M.A.R.T. HDDs issue an alert if a failure is pending. The three-spindle design of the 1.44 MB FDD allows all the drive units, including the FDD, to be contained inside the ThinkPad 390E covers.
Software MPEG 1 support on Windows 98 systems provides multimedia viewing without such hardware prerequisites as ZV port cards. MPEG 1 decoders facilitate educational use for activities such as movies, teleconferencing, and games.
Bootable 24x-10x variable-speed CD-ROM.
Excellent sound quality with two stereo speakers, 16-bit stereo audio supporting Sound Blaster Pro
Built-in stereo speakers and microphone
Three audio jacks:
- One for external stereo speakers or headphone
- One for an external microphone
- One for line-in
PCI bus support with video acceleration provides exceptional video performance.
IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing. The ThinkPad 390E models are compatible with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification with speeds up to 4 Mbps.
Preinstalled software provides wireless file transfer, file synchronization, and clipboard data transfer. With the IR feature, data can be exchanged with any system, accessories, or personal digital assistants (PDA) supporting the same specifications and data transfer speed. The IR feature may require the separate purchase of the appropriate hardware.
OTHER FEATURES: Enhanced parallel, XGA and SVGA (external display), pointer-keyboard-keypad, serial, and universal serial bus (USB) ports. An additional connector supports the optional Port Replicator with Advanced EtherJet.