|(This applies to the following models: 3A0, 3AA, 3AC, 3AF, 3AH, 3AJ, 3AK, 3AP, 3AS, 3AT, 3AU, 3TJ, 4A0, 4AA, 4AC, 4AE, 4AF, 4AH, 4AJ, 4AK, 4AP, 4AS, 4AT, 4AU, 4TJ, 5A0, 5AA, 5AC, 5AF, 5AH, 5AJ, 5AK, 5AP, 5AS, 5AT, 5AU, 8A0, 8AA, 8AC, 8AF, 8AH, 8AJ, 8AK, 8AP, 8AS, 8AT, 8AU, CAA, CAB, CAC, CAD, CAE, CAF, CAG, CAH, CAJ, CBA, CBB, CBC, CBD, CBE, CBF, CBG, CBH, CBI, CBJ, CBK, CCA, CCB, CCC, CCD, CCE, CCF, CCG, CCH, CCI, CCJ, CCK)|
New IBM ThinkPad 600E Models -- Improved Power and Performance in a Light, Thin Form Factor
The thin, light design, ease-of-use, and reliability of the first ThinkPad 600 systems is maintained in new models of the ThinkPad 600E.
With its slim 36.5-mm (1.4-in) profile(7) and travel configurations weighing less than 2.26 kg (5 lb)(1), the stylish ThinkPad 600E is a truly perfect travel partner -- maximum power, minimum weight, ingeniously designed for the way you work.
LATEST INTEL TECHNOLOGY:
- Models feature the latest Mobile Pentium(R) II processor at 300PE(*)MHz(2) or 366 MHz, both with Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP), plus:
- 256 KB internal cache
- Large 4.0 or 6.4 GB (3) HDD, depending on model
- 32 or 64 MB(4) SDRAM, depending on model
- Programmable advanced communications processor with a V.90 internal modem with 56 Kbps(5) technology
- DVD or CD-ROM drive, depending on model
- Video out port (TV out) on selected models
- Note (*) PE means Performance Enhanced
- BRILLIANT, BRIGHT DISPLAY: 337.8-mm (13.3 in) (measured diagonally) TFT with 1024 x 768 resolution
With the UltaslimBay(TM), fast and easy warm swapping gives you the flexibility to configure the system with the components you need.
- Diskette drive (FDD)
- 24x-10x CD-ROM(6)
- SuperDisk (LS-120)
- Second battery (cold swap only)
- Second hard disk drive of different capacities
EASE OF USE:
- Featuring on-line help, concise user's manuals, and intuitive icons on the keyboard, the ThinkPad 600E is one of IBM's easiest ThinkPad products to start up and operate.
ROBUST SYSTEM MANAGEABILITY:
- Compliant with industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI)
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaDock III
- Thermal monitoring
- Local and remote asset management and asset security via passwords and locks
- Early detection of a hard drive failure
- Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select features allow tapping of the TrackPoint pointing device to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes.
(1) Actual weight may vary depending on features, vendor components, or manufacturing process. Weight does not include external diskette drive, CD-ROM, or DVD drive. Weight includes battery and weight saver bezel.
(2) MHz only measures microprocessor internal clock speed, not application performance. Many factors affect application performance.
(3) GB equals one billion bytes and MB equals one million bytes when referring to hard disk. Accessible capacity may vary.
(4) Recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory in the models with the new Mobile Pentium II processor. Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion. To achieve the maximum memory of 288 MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots in models with 64 MB standard, must be discarded.
(5) The V.90 modem can receive data at up to 56 Kbps from a compatible service provider and transmit data at up to 33.6 Kbps. Public networks currently limit maximum download speeds to about 53 Kbps. Actual speeds depend on many factors and are often less than the maximum possible.
(6) Variable read rate. Actual playback speed will vary and is often less than the maximum possible.
(7) Dimensions may vary due to design or functional contours in the covers of the system.
IBM, OS/2, ThinkPad, IBM Business Partner, and IBM Support Center are registered trademarks of International Business Machines Corporation in the United States or other countries or both.
UltraslimBay, UltraBay, TrackPoint, and ConfigXpert are trademarks of International Business Machines in the United States or other countries or both.
Intel and Pentium are registered trademarks of Intel Corporation.
Microsoft, Windows, and Windows NT are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
Other company, product and service names may be trademarks or service marks of their respective owners.
AT A GLANCE
- The ThinkPad 600E: Full-function performance and portability; ingeniously designed for the way you work
- Sleek profile: 300 mm (11.8 in) x 240 mm (9.4 in) x 36.5 mm (1.4 in)
- Weight with travel bezel, less than 2.2 kg (5 lb)
- Preinstalled Windows (R) 98 or Windows (R) NT 4.0
- Easy access to information with Access ThinkPad
- V.90 modem compatibility
- Brilliant 337.8-mm (13.3-in) TFT display
- Enhanced graphics enabling multiple monitor support
- Optional ThinkPad SelectaBase PC Card Enabler with advanced EtherJet(TM) feature
- Zip 100 MB drive
- Sleek black design, full-sized keys on the keyboard, and TrackPoint(TM) IV technology
- Easy Internet connections with Global Network Dialer and Netscape Communicator
- Advanced system manageability
- Supported operating systems are Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, OS/2 Warp Version 4, PC DOS 2000, and MS-DOS 6.22
THINKPAD 600E FEATURES
SUPERIOR SECURITY AND MANAGEABILITY:
- Asset ID, an advanced radio-frequency based tool, secures and protect assets, keeps accurate inventories, and facilitates fast deployment of your ThinkPads into the enterprise. (Asset ID, using the IBM ThinkPad RF-ID Antenna option, is available only on select AAP models.)
- Supports Universal Management, a comprehensive set of superior, standards-based PC hardware manageability tools that work with, and complement, existing system management products
- Complies with the industry standard Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0
- Designed to the Wired for Management (WfM) baseline requirements for mobile systems
- Wake on LAN support via the optional SelectaBase 600, PC Card Enabler with Advanced EtherJet feature, or SelectaDock III and Wake on LAN network interface card
- Local and remote asset management, thermal monitoring, and early detection of hard drive failure via the Universal Management Agent(TM)
- Remote setup and low-level maintenance via IBM LANClient Control Manager(TM)
- Asset and data security via multiple passwords and locks
- Virus protection and easy operating system recovery
- Select models include a DVD drive.
- DVD movie playback is supported without requiring complementary graphics hardware.
- All ThinkPad 600E models with Windows 98 (R) can be upgraded to this level of multimedia support with the optional DVD drive.
The new ThinkPad 600E models come with a 337.8-mm (13.3-in) (measured diagonally) TFT display with 1024 x 768 resolution.
Video Modes -- 600E (2.5 MB VRAM)
|640 x 480||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|800 x 600||16M||16M||16M||NA||16M|
|1280 x 1024||NA||NA||NA||NA||256|
KEYBOARD AND TRACKPOINT WITH ENHANCED FEATURES:
- The keyboard has the familiar layout of a ThinkPad notebook with function keys that allow you to quickly access system functions, such as power management control.
- The ThinkPad 600E is Euro hardware ready.
- The TrackPoint with enhanced features incorporates the Press-to-Select and Release-to-Select function of the TrackPoint. Just tap the TrackPoint to speed icon launches and reduce keystrokes. The new programmable center button enables fast scrolling of Web sites and documents, or fast panning across wide spreadsheets. Or switch to the innovative magnifying glass feature to enlarge screen views in any application.
- Mobile Pentium II at 300PE MHz or 366 MHz depending on model, with AGP plus 256 KB of internal cache, and floating-point decimal, providing exceptional performance.
- The system has 32 or 64 MB of memory standard, depending on model, and recognizes up to 288 MB of addressable memory.
- Current available memory options allow memory expansion up to 288 MB using two 128 MB SDRAM SO DIMMs in the two available slots for memory expansion.
- To achieve the maximum memory of 288 MB, the 32 MB SO DIMM currently in one of the slots, in models with 64MB standard, must be discarded.
- The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters(6) PC card and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter.
(6) Currently available in DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98
- The customer removable, installable hard drive is 4.0 or 6.4 GB standard, depending on model.
- The optional SuperDisk3 (LS120), Zip 100 MB drive and the ability to add a second hard drive in the UltraslimBay provide an expanded choice of storage capability.
- The second hard drive option is backwards compatible with all ThinkPad 600 models.
- The 1.44 MB diskette drive (FDD) comes standard and can be plugged directly into the ThinkPad 600E UltraslimBay(R) or attached externally for added flexibility.
- The full duplex audio capability on the system board and the integrated microphone allow voice annotation and audio capability.
- The system is equipped with audio in/out jacks for stereo speakers, headphone, or external microphone.
- The system supports Sound Blaster audio applications.
- New models with Windows 98 support a system display and an external monitor simultaneously while different applications are on each screen. You can move the cursor from one screen to the other and drag and drop items from the application on one screen to the application on the second screen.
- The system has one fast (up to 4.0 Mbps) IR transceiver for wireless file and data transfer and printing.
- The ThinkPad 600E is designed for compliance with the Infrared Data Association (IrDA) IR data link specification Version 1.1 (up to 4 Mbps).
- The ThinkPad 600E systems have the full complement of ports (enhanced parallel, serial, external display, and USB port).
- The USB port, which connects external drives, is supported only by Windows 98 or Windows 95 OSR2.1, or later.
- The FDD external attachment port is standard on all 600E models.
- In addition, the 240-pin connector supports these docking solutions:
- SelectaBase 600
- SelectaDock III via the SelectaBase 600
DOCKING SOLUTION DETAILS
- Simple port replication and cable management with the SelectaBase 600
- Enhanced port replication capability when the PC Card Enabler is attached to SelectaBase 600 to provide two PC CardBus slots
- Desktop functionality and manageability via the SelectaBase 600 and SelectaDock III
- ThinkPad 600E and SelectaBase 600 are backward compatible with the SelectaDock I and SelectaDock II
ADVANCED CONFIGURATION AND POWER INTERFACE (ACPI) COMPLIANT
The ThinkPad 600E is ACPI ready. ACPI is not installed, but the system hardware supports ACPI. While ACPI shows a great deal of promise for the future, numerous problems affect the operation of ACPI on ThinkPad and other notebook systems. Therefore, the system comes with Windows 98 running in APM mode. When the remaining issues with ACPI are resolved, an upgrade package will be made available on the IBM Web site. The upgrade package will contain update procedures and updates to the device drivers and BIOS that you need to make ACPI work reliably.