This document contains instructions for a Microsoft Windows XP Professional fresh install onto a blank hard drive of an IBM TransNote ThinkPad Portfolio Notebook. The operating system will take approximately 1 hour for the base OS install and approximately 1 hour to finalize the install. The final hour of install depends upon the total number of applications that need to be installed.
There are specific ThinkPad utilities that are required for proper operation of the TransNote computer. Download and have available the specific device drivers and utilities required. Click here to visit the ThinkPad Device Driver web page for those specific drivers and utilities.
Some Windows XP screens may appear different from these instructions. The detection of a network interface card (NIC) and a valid Internet connection will determine the sequence of setup screens presented. Since the TransNote computer does not have a native CD-ROM drive, these instructions are based upon the use of a Portable Drive Bay, Portable Drive Bay 2000, or the IBM USB CD drive. The PDB and PDB2000 are bootable devices via PCMCIA in the TransNote. The USB CD will require additional device drivers. The USB CD-ROM installation method will require the TransNote recovery diskette, and the IBM USB floppy diskette drive. (Click here to obtain diskette). See note at bottom of this page for USB CD-ROM instructions.
Obtain the Windows XP Setup and Technical Guide for IBM ThinkPad Notebooks document from the IBM ThinkPad support web page. This document contains the required information on Windows XP on ThinkPads. Click here to return to the Microsoft Windows XP Setup Guide for IBM ThinkPad systems.
- Obtain and flash the computers BIOS to the most currently available, and initialize the BIOS. (This needs to be done via USB floppy diskette drive or diskless BIOS update)
- Power on the ThinkPad and insert the PDB or PDB2000 device. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM. Press the F12 key to launch the interactive boot sequence and highlight Atapi-CD-ROM drive. Make sure the ThinkPad boots the CD. There is a warning to press any key to boot the CD message that must observed.
- Press Enter at Welcome to Setup Screen to begin the XP install.
- Read and Agree to the End User License Agreement. It is very important to understand the EULA. Press F8 to accept.
- Select partition to install Windows XP into. Use this screen to create, delete partitions as desired. FAT32 partitions will not be supported on partitions larger than 32 gigs.
- Choose FAT or NTFS file system if partition is unformatted, or leave the partition intact if already formatted.
- If FAT file system is chosen, then if partition is over 2048 MB, then the partition will be formatted FAT32, Press Enter to continue. If the hard drive partition is over 32 gigs, then FAT32 will not be an option.
- Setup will begin file copy process.
- Computer will reboot to the hard drive and continue the installation.
- Installing Windows screen appears, allow install to continue.
- Installing Devices bar appears and Setup Timer starts.
- The LCD may blank during the installing devices process.
- Regional and Language Options screen opens, click customize to change regions or language options. Click next when complete.
- Enter name and organization at Personalize your Software screen.
- Enter Product Key (located on the back of the CD case).
- Create Computer name and enter, then confirm Administrator password.
- Enter Modem Dialing information such as Area Code and outside line number.
- Set Date and Time, Change Time Zone to match your Locale.
- Installation of Network will occur if Network Adapter is detected.
- Select Typical settings unless you need to manually configure the network settings.
- Select No at Workgroup or Domain screen, unless you know the Domain that the machine will participate in. Enter the workgroup name if known, otherwise leave workgroup as WORKGROUP.
- Additional file copy and various installation tasks are completed.
- Setup finishes and system reboots.
- Click Next at Welcome to Microsoft Windows Screen. The following screens past the Welcome to Microsoft Windows will depend upon the user choices exercised. Since these choices are machine and user independent, these instructions will follow the most common choices.
- Checking for Internet Connectivity occurs, and then a list of choices will be presented depending upon the network interface detected. If an Ethernet or Token Ring card is detected, the choices for DSL, Cable modem, or LAN will be displayed. If this screen is displayed, select the appropriate choice.
- The username and password screen appears. Make the appropriate choice or skip this step. Skipping will bring up the Windows XP registration screen, while choosing the username and password option will bring up the username and password screen.
- The Activate Windows screen will appear. Choose the appropriate choice to Active now or later. The activation must occur within the specified time frame of 15 - 30 days. The Windows Activation is mandatory for continued use of XP past the 15 or 30 days.
- At the Register with Microsoft Screen, make the appropriate choice and click next to continue. Choosing to register will ask the appropriate registration information. Registration is a voluntary process.
- Create user accounts as desired and continue. At least one account must be created.
- Click Finish to finalize XP install.
This concludes the Windows XP base operating system install. There are specific ThinkPad utilities that are required for proper operation of the TransNote computer.
Below is a list of the device drivers that should be installed. All of these utilities are available from the IBM Web site. Check the TransNote device driver web page, click here for the latest device driver. Follow the device driver installation instructions for each of the listed drivers. The install instructions are listed on each device driver page. The order that each driver or utility is installed is important. The drivers and utilities should be installed in the following order:
- ThinkPad Configuration Utility. Follow the instructions provided for the utility application.
- Install the IBM ThinkPad Patch for Dummy COM port.
- TouchBoard utility
- Screen Rotation Drive (Pivot)
- OnScreen Display
- FlipTouch control utility
- Touch Panel driver
- IBM Trackpoint driver
- IBM Power Management Driver
- Ink Manager Pro
NOTE: For USB CD-ROM drive users.
Since the USB CD drive is not bootable, the use of a bootable floppy disk and the USB floppy diskette drive are required.
- Insert both the USB floppy drive and USB CD drive into the USB ports.
- Turn on the computer with the IBM TransNote recovery diskette in the drive.
- Pick the USB CD Drive as the recovery device. Allow the boot process to continue. The machine should boot to a D:\ command prompt.
- Change to the A:\ drive and type SMARTDRV. This will install disk caching and greatly speed up the file copy process. The USB CD drive will be loaded as drive X.
- Run WINNT from the i386 subdirectory on the Windows XP CD. Once the file copy finishes, remove the floppy diskette and press enter to reboot, this install will begin at step 3 from above.