The WorkPad c500 monochrome and c505 16 bit color handheld devices are powerful mobile productivity tools that help keep you organized and in touch. Using standard development tools, you can easily add custom applications.
The WorkPad c500 or c505 can be used in conjunction with an IBM, or compatible, PC or ThinkPad running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems. The devices are compatible with products designated as Palm m500 and m505 devices.
NOTE: Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft NT 4.0, or serial connectivity, require a serial HotSync cradle or cable, available separately from Palm, Inc.
- 33MHz processor
- Li-Polymer Battery
- SB HotSync cradle
- Expansion slot that supports Secure Digital / Multimedia Card
- Vibrating and LED alarms
- Lighted power button
- Palm OS v4.0
Features and benefits
- Small size and light weight
- Rechargeable Li-Polymer battery
- Ideal to carry with you
- Bright backlit monochrome or 16 bit color LCD display (depending on model) for easy viewing, even in low light conditions
- USB HotSync to keep your WorkPad and PC in sync
- The Secure Digital / Multimedia Card expansion slot allows for storage, backup content and Palm Universal Connector for access to many add on third party options, such as modems, scanners and keyboards.
- Infrared (IR) for optional connection
- Synchronize with Windows 98 or Windows 2000 operating systems through the WorkPad cradle.
NOTE: Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0, or serial connectivity, require a serial HotSync cradle or cable, available separately from Palm, Inc.
Some optical items
- Add-on software from other manufacturers
- Financial Applications
Additional optical features
- Lotus EasySync (TM) Pro program, provides simple, bi-directional synchronization between your critical Notes databases and your IBM WorkPad computing device.
- IBM DB2 Everyplace Personal Edition 7.1.2 provides a local data store on the WorkPad for storing local data or data from the enterprise.
- The included IBM Mobile Connect 2.41 (60 day demo version) allows organizations to directly transfer information from multiple handheld devices directly to corporate systems, without the need to synchronize via the PC.
For more information, visit the Lotus home page at http://www.lotus.com. With one touch, this hand-held extension of your PC can take you to some of your most important information access and update your:
- Address book
- To-do lists
The "Find" feature quickly locates numbers, notes, and many other items stored in the WorkPad device. Enter or change information by:
- Transferring directly from or to your PC using HotSync technology
- Using the built-in on-screen keyboard
- Writing with graffiti power writing software
- Actual specifications may vary depending on vendor components or manufacturing process. Weight includes battery.
- The WorkPad c500 and c505 are compatible with products certified as Palm m500 and m505 compatible. IBM does not provide support for third-party products. IBM makes no warranties, expressed or implied, regarding non-IBM products and services, including but not limited to Year 2000 readiness and any implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
At a glance
The slim-profile, lightweight, WorkPad c500 and c505 hand-held device features personal organizer functions and connectivity to IBM PC, ThinkPad, or compatible computers.
- Fits into pocket and weighs about 113.4 g (4.0 oz) (c500) and 139 g (4.9 oz) (c505)
- 33 MHz processor
- High-capacity storage (8 MB)
- Expansion slot that supports Secure Digital and Multimedia Card devices.
- Vibrating alarm
- Lighted power button / alarm
- USB HotSync cradle for fast exchange of data with your PC
- Built-in infrared beaming and HotSync technology to keep your WorkPad device and PC always in sync
- Easy to use: One touch can find some of your most important information
WorkPad c500 and c505 features
The WorkPad c500 and c505 features is designed to be used in conjunction with an IBM, or compatible, PC or ThinkPad running Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Workstation NT 4.0 Operating Systems. The WorkPad device is compatible with products designated as PalmPilot, compatible for the COM PalmPilot connected organizer.
You can upgrade the WorkPad c500 and c505 with hardware and software options to enhance performance and add function.
The WorkPad c500 is about 114 mm x 80 mm x 11.5 mm (4.49 in x 3.18 in x 0.45 in), weighs approximately 113.4 g (4.0 oz),
and can be easily carried in a pocket.
The WorkPad c505 is about 114 mm x 80.7 mm x 12.7 mm (4.49 in x 3.18 in 5 x 0.5 in), weighs approximately 139 g (4.9 oz), and can be easily carried in a pocket.
Increased speed with the 33 MHz processor.
The new bright monochrome and 16 bit color displays are backlit for excellent viewing even in low-light situations. The WorkPad c505 can display over 65,000 colors.
Sleek and simple, it connects the WorkPad device to your ThinkPad or PC for HotSync data exchange and to recharge the battery using a USB connection.
The WorkPad c500 and c505 include a Secure Digital / Multimedia Card expansion slot for storage, backup content and
the Palm Universal Connector for access to many third party add on options, such as modems, scanners and keyboards.
Storage and uses
The 8 MB of storage capacity has room for:
- Addresses - access and update your contact names, street, street and e-mail addresses, and phone and fax numbers.
- Appointments - organize your meetings and deadlines. Attach reminders or alarms to warn about upcoming deadlines
- To-do items - create lists and sort by priority or due date. Tap with the stylus and completed items disappear.
- Memos - jot down notes, then drag-and-drop into applications on your PC.
- E-mail messages - With a push of the HotSync button, data is exchanged between the WorkPad and your PC system keeping your schedule and E-mail updated. Read, reply, delete, and save E-mail information right on your WorkPad, and then use HotSync to update the E-mail information on your PC.
The WorkPad c500 and c505 includes e-mail support for:
- Lotus EasySync Pro
- IBM Mobile Connect 2.41
- IBM DB2 Everyplace Personal Edition 7.1.2
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express
- Microsoft Windows Messaging
- QUALCOMM Eudora; additional links for mail sold separately
- AOL mail
- Lotus Notes mail
- Netscape Communicator mail
- POP3 or IMAP4 Internet service providers
Transmits data from one WorkPad to another or from a WorkPad to a PalmPilot equipped with IR.
The software keyboard is visible and usable on the LCD display.
Synchronizes data in your WorkPad with that on your ThinkPad or PC. With optional conduit software, the WorkPad
c500 or c505 exchanges information smoothly with popular personal information management applications.
Data entry options
- Easily transfer directly from ThinkPad or PC using HotSync technology
- Use the on-screen keyboard
- Write with Graffiti Power Writing software
Expenses record keeping
Track your expenses when on the road and transfer them to your PC with one touch.
NOTE: Applies to model 8602-60U, 8602-70U and 8602-70J only.
Easy to navigate and use many of the WorkPad features. Information can be entered and then slide it away in its handy slot.
One-touch "Find" feature
Enter a word to quickly locate numbers, notes, or other data.
Designed to leverage the power of your PC, the WorkPad c500 and c505 are ideal for looking up information and gathering a limited amount of data in a mobile environment. Your PC is well suited for entering large blocks of data, running graphical and memory intensive applications, printing documents, storing and backing up files, and communicating via LANs and WANs. By combining the two, you get the best of both computing worlds.