This update applies only to Seagate hard disk drives that have the following information:
|FRU ||IBM part number ||Model ||Capacity (GB) ||RPM |
|19K1565 ||24P3695 ||ST320011A ||20.4 ||7200 |
|19K1567 ||24P3696 ||ST330011A ||30.0 ||7200 |
|19K1568 ||24P3697 ||ST340016A ||40.0 ||7200 |
|19K1570 ||24P3698 ||ST360021A ||60.0 ||7200 |
|24P3665 ||24P3699 ||ST380021A ||80.0 ||7200 |
These IDE hard disk drives might come installed in one of the IBM Machine types listed below:
2251, 2259, 2271, 2273, 2289, 6029, 6043, 6049, 6058, 6059, 6568, 6578, 6579, 6599, 6647, 6650, 6790, 6791, 6792, 6793, 6794, 6795, 6822, 6824, 6826, 6830, 6831, 6833, 6840, 6841, 8301, 8303, 8304, 8305, 8306, 8307, 8308, 8309, 8310, 8311, 8312, 8313, 8314, 8315, 8317, 8318, 8319
There are two means by which you can determine if your system has an Seagate ATA IV hard disk drive:
It should be noted that IBM highly recommends using the IBM Enhanced Diagnostics options to determine the vital information relating to the installed hard disk drive. The second option of physically removing the hard disk drive should only be undertaken by technically experienced individuals.
Using IBM Enhanced Diagnostics
IBM Enhanced Diagnostics provides manufacturer, model, and firmware information relating to the installed hard disk drive. This information is shown in the table provided in the affected configurations section. Launch the IBM Enhanced Diagnostics, select Hardware Info, then select IDE Drive Info to locate the Drive Model information. If IBM Enhanced Diagnostics (PC Doctor diagnostics) has been shipped with the system, it may be found in the preloaded IBM software, the F11 Disk-to-Disk recovery partition, the Product Recovery CD, or the IBM Diagnostics CD. The diagnostics are also available for download from the IBM PC support Web site. Click here to download IBM Enhanced Diagnostics.
Physically checking the hard disk drive part numbers
Physically remove the drive from the system. Click here for hardware installation and removal instructions. Make certain that you follow all safety instructions. Locate the IBM part number and FRU part number printed on the drive label, then refer to the table provided in the affected configurations section. Both the IBM part number and the IBM replacement (FRU) part number must match those in the table. If it is determined that the system contains one of the hard disk drives listed in the table above, then update the firmware to the latest release. To verify the current firmware revision of the hard disk drive launch the IBM Enhanced Diagnostics, click Hardware Info, then click IDE Drive Info to view the "Firmware Revision" information.
Downloading the update
- Click the file link to download the file from the Web page.
- When prompted, select a drive and directory in which to save the downloaded file, be sure to select a path that does not have a space in it's name.
Extracting the update
Installing this update involves creating a bootable diskette. Before you begin, have a blank 1.44 MB diskette ready.
- Click Start, select Find or Search, then click Files and Folders.
- Insert a blank 1.44MB floppy diskette into the diskette drive.
- Type pz1t19a.exe in the search field, then click Find Now. This will locate the pz1t19a.exe file you just downloaded.
- Double-click the pz1t19a.exe icon.
- Follow the onscreen prompts. The necessary files will be extracted to the diskette.
Installing the update
- Close all open applications.
- Leave the diskette in the A: drive, and shut down and restart the computer to start the firmware update program.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the update process.
- If the system has a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV drive that requires the firmware update, the code will be updated automatically.
- After the update is complete, remove the diskette and reboot the system for normal operation.
- If the hard disk drive does not require the update, then no update will be applied.