To identify hard drives that need the firmware update, this utility will search for every hard disk drive connected to the system (Primary Master, Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave), and will provide information such as model, manufacturer, capacity, serial number and current firmware level for each drive detected.
NOTE: If your system is configured with more than one IBM Deskstar hard drive, it is possible that more than one of the drives need the update. In such case, download and install the firmware code needed for each of them.
Downloading the identification utility
- Click the file link to download the file from the Web page.
- When prompted, select a drive and directory in which to save the downloaded file.
Extracting the identification utility
- Click Start, select Find or Search, then click Files and folders.
- Type pz2z25us.exe in the search field, then click Find Now. This will locate the pz2z25us.exe file you just downloaded.
- Double-click the pz2z25us.exe icon.
- Click Next. Read the license agreement.
- Click I accept the terms in the license agreement.
- Click Next. Ensure that "Save files in folder" is set to C:\IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS\PZ2Z25US.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
Using the identification utility
Please, follow these instructions to successfully use the identification utility to determine if your system is configured with an IBM Deskstar hard drive that needs a firmware update:
- With the system running in Windows, double-click on the extracted file HDDDriveInfo.exe, which by default will be located in the C:\IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS\PZ2Z25US folder.
- The utility will run and will open up a small Window called HDD Drive Information. Information in this window is divided in two sections: Detected Devices and Firmware Check.
- Section FIRMWARE CHECK provides a quick text representation of the results. This section will tell you if your system has a
DTLA-xxxxxx or IC35L0xxAVER07 hard drive that needs a firmware update. The messages will be as follows:
- if Hard drive needs firmware update: IBM recommends that at least one of our installed IBM hard drives should have its firmware updated. Please, click on the drives icons in the DETECTED DEVICES window to see the drives requiring update.
- if Hard drive does not need firmware update: You are neither using an IBM DTLA nor an IBM IC35AVER hard disk drive. No further action is required.
- If section FIRMWARE CHECK tells you that you have a hard drive that needs a firmware update, go to section DETECTED DEVICES to see which drive (if you have more than one installed) needs the update.
- Section DETECTED DEVICES shows a list of all IDE hard drives detected on the system. For each detected IDE hard drive, this section provides model, manufacturer, capacity, serial number and current firmware level.
- Every hard drive detected on the system will be identified with a cylinder-type icon. To the right of each icon you will see the model/manufacturer data. The capacity, serial number and current firmware level is shown under the model/manufacturer data.
- If a hard drive detected needs a firmware update, the utility will tell you the firmware level the drive needs. This information will be added as another line between model/manufacturer and the capacity of the drive. To make it easier for you, this data will highlighted with a red exclamation point (!).
- The firmware level the hard drive needs to be updated to will be shown as:
- If your hard drive is model DTLA-xxxxxx, the utility will give one of these two messages:
- Update to Firmware IA6AA or
- Update to Firmware OA6AA
- If your hard drive is model IC35L0xxAVER07, the utility will say: Update to Firmware A45A.
- Now that you know the firmware update that your hard drive needs, select the appropriate link to download it. The links to download the firmware update can be found on the same page where this Identification Utility for IBM Deskstar hard drives was downloaded from.
- Links for the appropriate firmware update can be obtained below.
NOTE: If you have more than one hard drive installed, it is possible that information about all of them might not be visible on the screen. In such case scroll the HDD Drive Information window up or down and double-click on the cylinder-type icon provided for each drive. This will display the information for that hard drive.
This utility will also create a text file called HDDDriveInfo.log. This file will provide the same information provided by the HDD Drive Information window. The data provided on this file follows this order:
- Date and Time when the utility was run,
- Host System Name,
- Update Required Status
- If no update is required it will say: No Update Required.
- If the update is required it will say: Update Required.
- Drive Make and Model (This are the Hard Drive Manufacturer and Model Number).
- Serial Number.
- Current Firmware (Firmware currently installed in the hard drive).
Links to download appropriate firmware update
Click here if the firmware level indicated by the identification utility is IA6AA.
Click here if the firmware level indicated by the identification utility is OA6AA.
Click here if the firmware level indicated by the identification utility is A45A.