Preparing your ThinkPad system for Windows XP
Before removing any software or operating system from your ThinkPad system, you will need to:
- Make sure the BIOS on your ThinkPad system is at the latest level.
- Save the necessary driver, supplement, and software files on removable media.
Note: A system with at least 128 MB of memory is required.
Installing Windows XP
- Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD or DVD drive. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Follow the instructions for the Install shield program.
- Install the device drivers. The device drivers are found in the C:\IBMTOOLS\DRIVERS directory or you can download them from the R32 Device Driver File Matrix Web site. There is also an installation procedure text file in that directory. After you install Windows XP, you will need to install the application software, which is provided in the C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS directory on your hard drive.
Installing Windows XP Supplement File
The Windows XP Supplement File is in the following directory:
Note: If you cannot find this directory on your hard drive, download the Windows XP Supplement File from the ThinkPad Web site. For access to this Web site, press the ThinkPad button to open the Access ThinkPad panel. On this panel, click On the Web. A list of sites appears; choose the ones you want.
Note: Make sure that the correct video driver is installed prior to installing this file.
- Right-click on the desktop to open the Display Properties window.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Click Advanced
- Click the Monitor tab and click the Properties button.
- Select the Driver tab and the Update Driver... button. The Hardware Update Wizard opens.
- Select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).
- Click Next.
- Select Don't search, I will chose the driver to install.
- Click Next.
- Click the Have Disk... button.
- Click the Browse... button.
- Select the folder that the Windows XP Supplement File is in, and find the file of IBMTPLCD.INF under IBMLCD folder.
- Select IBMLCD.INF, and click Open and then OK.
- Select the checkbox for Show compatible hardware.
- Select a panel in the list you are using now.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish and then Close.
- Click the Color Management tab.
- Click Add, and select IBMTPIPS.ICM or IBMTOLCD.ICM under the directory of c:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color.
- Click Add and close the Display Properties window.
Installing Windows XP Update Module Package
The Windows XP Update Modules are in the following directory
The name of each subfolder is the number of a fix module. For the information about each fix module, Click here to visit the Microsoft Knowledge Base homepage, type the number of the fix module you need in the search field, and click the search button.
Note: The Web site address might change without notice. If the homepage is not displayed, search the homepage from the Microsoft top page.
To install a fix module, run the exe file in a subfolder and follow the instructions on the screen.
Install the application software that was saved in the Preparing your ThinkPad for Windows XP section from the C:\IBMTOOLS\APPS directory on your hard drive.