At a glance
The ThinkPad 48GB hard disk drive (HDD) utilizes the latest technology for enhanced mobile productivity.
The ThinkPad 48GB hard disk drive helps enhance the productivity of your ThinkPad system. This technology-leading storage option is available for the ThinkPad A, T and X Series laptops.
- Largest capacity and fastest ThinkPad hard disk drive announced to date
- Combines speedy 5400RPM and ATA-100 technology for industry-leading performance
For additional storage and back-up capability, the second HDD Adapter for the Ultrabay 2000 can be used to insert the ThinkPad 48GB HDD in the following systems.
- Ultrabay 2000 of the ThinkPad A and T Series
- UltraBase X2 media slice for the X Series laptop
- USB or PC Card connected Portable Drive Bay 2000
- ThinkPad Dock
The ThinkPad 48GB hard disk drive can also upgrade the primary HDD of the ThinkPad A (except machine type 2655) and T Series. The data transfer rate of the ThinkPad 48GB HDD is up to 25% faster than all other ThinkPad HDDs primarily because of the 5400RPM spin rate versus the 4200RPM spin rate found in other ThinkPad HDDs. The ThinkPad 48GB HDD is the highest capacity ThinkPad HDD offered to date.
Incorporating Drive Noise Suppression System (DNSS), the new ThinkPad 48GB hard disk drive option offers significantly reduced noise levels. DNSS replaces the traditional ball bearing design with the fluid dynamic bearing spindle motor technology and voice coil motor dampening enhancements. These efforts result in acoustical noise reduction, improved shock tolerance and superior reliability.
1 year Limited - customer carry-in exchange
You will receive one box containing the following items:
- 48GB hard disk drive assembly
Product marketing and replacement part numbers (FRU)
- Marketing part number: 08K9600
- Replacement part number (FRU): 08K9599
- Announce date: 31 Jul 2001
- Planned availability date: 31 Jul 2001
- Withdrawal date: 25 Mar 2002
- 2.5-inch, 12.5-mm height MCC compliance
- Up to 48GB formatted capacity
- 512 bytes/sector
- No-ID recording format
- PRML data channel
- Enhanced ECC On The Fly
- Advanced GMR heads
- Load/unload head technology
- Enhanced IDE Interface with Ultra-DMA 100
Performance specifications as known at time of announcement
- Interface: ATA/ATAPI-5
- Formatted capacity: Up to 48GB
- Rotational speed: 5400RPM
- Number of disks/drive: 4
- Number of heads: 8
- Interface transfer rate: 100 MB/sec
- Max. media transfer rate: 241 Mbits/sec
- Average read seek time: 12 ms
- Average write seek time: 14 ms
- Latency (average ms): 5.5
Physical, environmental, and compatibility specifications as known at time of announcement
WeightHeight Width Depth
- Between 5 degrees Celsius and 55 degrees Celsius
- Between 41 degrees Fahrenheit and 131 degrees Fahrenheit
Operating: between 8% and 90% (non-condensing)
The ThinkPad 48GB hard disk drive is supported on the following platforms.
|ThinkPad A Series||2628, 2629, 2633, 2655**||All|
|ThinkPad T Series||2647, 2648||All|
|ThinkPad X Series||2660, 2661, 2662||All***|
** Not supported as an upgrade to the primary system hard disk drive on the 2655.
*** Supported in either the UltraBase X2 or the Portable Drive Bay 2000 using the ThinkPad second HDD Adapter for Ultrabay 2000.
The 48GB HDD option is supported on other currently marketed ThinkPad systems with the Portable Drive Bay 2000 (19K4480) and the ThinkPad 2nd HDD Adapter for Ultrabay 2000 (08K6068). The 48GB HDD option is also supported in the ThinkPad Dock (machine type 2631) with the 08K6068 ThinkPad 2nd HDD Adapter for Ultrabay 2000.
NOTE: The 48GB HDD option is only supported on ThinkPad systems.
Supported operating systems
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows NT 4.0
- Windows 2000
- Windows Me
Some configurations may not be compatible.
- Continuous use of the 48GB HDD, as in reading long video files, will impact battery life.
- Some configurations may not be supported.
Approximately 15 minutes