How to set, remove or change a Power On Password on your IBM ThinkPad 365X, 380, 385, 560, 600, 750, 755, 760, 765, 770.Remove the password by following the procedure below. This operation removes the Power-On password.
Note: Do not forget your Power On Password! If you forget your power-on password, you cannot reset it. You have to take the computer to an IBM authorized reseller or IBM marketing representative to have the password cancelled. Proof of purchase is required, and an additional charge might be required for the service.
You must remove your password at the password prompt that appears when you turn on the computer. To remove the password, at the prompt, Enter your current password, press the Spacebar and then press Enter.
- Start Easy-Setup by pressing and holding F1 and then turning on the computer.
- Select the Password, then select Power-On.
- Type your desired Power-On password, then press Enter. You can use any combination of up to 7 characters. Use a combination of any letters or numbers (A to Z, 0 to 9) in uppercase (A) or lowercase (a). Uppercase and lowercase letters are treated the same.
- Type your Power-On drive password again to verify it, the press Enter.
Note: When setting the password, the password screen will allow you to type in more than 7 characters. However, when entering in the password during boot up, it will only recognize the first 7 characters. If you type more than 7 characters, it will indicate that an invalid password was set. For example, if you set up the power-on password to be "MYFIRSTTP", when you were prompted to enter the password during boot up, it would only recognize "MYFIRST" as a valid password.
- Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds, then turn it on.
- When the Power-On drive password prompt appears, type your current Power-On drive password, then press Spacebar.
- Type the new password; then press the Spacebar. Use no more than 7 characters.
- Type the new password again to verify it, then press Enter.
Note: This document applies to the X models of the 365 systems which are the following: 2E9,2R9,3E9,3R9,6E7,7E7.