ThinkVantage Password Manager allows users to save passwords for Web sites and Windows applications, and subsequently auto-fills those passwords when the user visits those Web sites or logs on to the application.
Password Manager provides a user interface that allows the user to review and modify entries stored in the password database. The user interface also allows the user to configure the application's settings.
- All ThinkPad
- All ThinkCentre
- All ThinkStation
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
- [Important] Important update
- (New) New function or enhancement
- (Fix) Correction to existing function
- [Important] The Password Manager function has been removed from the Client Security Solution program, and is provided as an independent application called the Password Manager program.
- [Important] Support for latest Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Microsoft IE Web browser.
- (New) The main Password Manager User Interface provides an easy-to-use interface for managing stored passwords.
- (New) The Password Manager System Tray icon displays a list of the user’s most frequently accessed Password Manager entries. When the user clicks one of these entries, the default browser is launched with the URL of the entry selected by the user.
- (New) (Initial release) A standalone version of Password Manager.
- System requirements
- Update your system to the latest Lenovo BIOS
- 1.5 GB of free space on your hard drive
- 512 MB of memory is recommended
- 8 MB of VRAM shared memory set in BIOS
- Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit version
- Upgrade and compatibility
- If the user attempts to install this version of Password Manager with a previous version of CSS/Password Manager already installed, a message will be displayed indicating that upgrades are not supported. The user will be instructed to export existing Password Manager data before uninstalling the previous version and installing this new version of Password Manager.
- User data will not be automatically transferred when the user uninstalls the previous version of CSS/Password Manager and installs Password Manager 4.00. The user must manually export their password database before uninstalling the previous version of CSS/Password Manager, and manually import the database after Password Manager is installed. A message alerting the user to export their passwords will be displayed and the installation will be blocked if the user attempts to install Password Manager while CSS/Password Manager is installed.
- Attempting to install a previous version of CSS/Password Manager with Password Manager 4.00 already installed will cause the CSS/Password Manager installation to display an error and block the installation.
- If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the software. To determine if you should update the software, refer to the Version Information section.
- If you have a previous version of Password Manager or Client Security Solution installed on your system, refer to the below Manual Upgrade section about how to upgrade the program
to Password Manager 4.00.
This section assumes to use Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
- Click once on the underlined file name. Once this is done, some pop-up windows will appear.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- In the window to choose Run or Save, click Save.
- Choose the folder you would like to download the file to and click Save. A different window will appear and the download will begin and complete. Once the download has completed, there may or may not be a message stating that the download completed successfully.
- Make sure you are logged on with an administrator account.
- Locate the folder where the file was downloaded.
- Locate the file that was downloaded and double-click it.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- In the Select Destination Location window, click Next. If you would like to select a different folder, click Browse.
- In the Ready to Install window, click Install. All the necessary files will be extracted to the folder selected in the step 9.
(I) Install Password Manager directly from installer:
- Make sure the checkbox next to "Install ..... now" is checked and click Finish.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete installation and restart the computer.
(II) Install Password Manager from Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools:
- Make sure the checkbox next to "Install ..... now" is not checked and click Finish.
- Click Start-> All Programs, select Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools.
- In Lenovo ThinkVantage Tools window, double click the gray icon Password Vault.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.
Finally delete the file saved in the step 4.
This section assumes Password Manager or Client Security Solution in a previous version has been installed on your system, and instructs you how to manually upgrade the program to Password Manager 4.00.
[Exporting your password entry list]
- Log in to the user account in which your password entry list has been saved.
- Launch Password Manager installed on your computer.
- Click Import/Export in the menu bar, and select Export Entry List.
- Enter the file name, and save it as an EXE or PWM file.
- Enter the password to protect the exported file.
- The EXE file is a portable export file. You can browse your saved list by running the EXE file without installing Password Manager. Both EXE and PWM files are supported by Password Manager 4.00, and could be imported to Password Manager 4.00.
- If there are other user accounts in this computer, log in to each user account and repeat steps 2 to 5.
[Uninstalling Password Manager or Client Security Solution in the previous version]
- Click Uninstall a program from Control Panel.
- Right-click Client Security – Password Manager, and click Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstalling process, and restart your computer.
[Installing Password Manager 4.00]
- Refer to the steps in the above Manual Install section to complete the installation process.
- Restart your computer.
[Importing your password entry list]
- Launch Password Manager 4.00.
- Click Import/Export password in the menu bar.
- Select Import passwords from a back-up file.
- Navigate to the password entry file.
- Select Merge with existing passwords or Overwrite existing passwords based on your requirements.
- Enter the password for the password entry file and click Finish.
- If you forget to export the password entry list before upgrading to Password Manager 4.00, do the following:
- Uninstall Password Manager 4.00.
- Install the previous version of Password Manager or Client Security Solution.
- Follow the steps in the manual upgrade section to migrate your exported password entry list to Password Manager 4.00.
This section assumes Password Manager or Client Security Solution in a previous version has been installed on your system. A package is provided with you to automatically upgrade the program to Password Manager 4.00.
This operation can only migrate the password entries of current logged-in user.
- Download the upgrade package.
- Double-click the downloaded package.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the upgrading process.
This is for system administrators' use only.
- Refer to the Manual Install section, and download and extract the file.
- In the step 11 of the Installing files section, uncheck the checkbox next to "Install ..... now", and then click Finish to cancel installation.
- At the command line, execute setup.exe with the following options.
/s /v"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
[Path where the files were extracted]\setup /s /v"/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
- Start Windows and logon with an administrator account.
- Click Start, then click Control Panel.
- Make sure Control Panel Home is selected, and click Uninstall a program.
- Select ThinkVantage Password Manager, and click Uninstall or Uninstall/Change.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete uninstallation and restart the computer.
- Start the ThinkVantage Password Manager program. After authentication, the main screen will be displayed.
- In the menu bar, click Help, then click About Password Manager. The version will be displayed in the About screen.